Separated pigs cage ideas!

laura_dungar

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Need any ideas on cage setups for two male Guinea pigs who have had to be separated due to fighting!
If possible, images for inspo please 🙂

What kind of cages do you have?
Do you mean you want internal set up ideas, or how to keep two cages side by side?

I have got two boys who have also been separated. One lives in the bottom half of a two storey hutch, and the other lives in a ferplast 160 set at a right angle to the hutch. (I have a bonded boar pair who live in the top half of the hutch).
I have hay at both ends of the cages so they can either eat together if they wish or eat apart (I don’t like to keep their only food sources together either side because I am seeing a lot of territorial dominance so don’t want them to be stressed by having no choice but to eat in close proximity)

What kind of cages do you have?
Do you mean you want internal set up ideas, or how to keep two cages side by side?

I have got two boys who have also been separated. One lives in the bottom half of a two storey hutch, and the other lives in a ferplast 160 set at a right angle to the hutch. (I have a bonded boar pair who live in the top half of the hutch).
I have hay at both ends of the cages so they can either eat together if they wish or eat apart (I don’t like to keep their only food sources together either side because I am seeing a lot of territorial dominance so don’t want them to be stressed by having no choice but to eat in close proximity)
At the moment I have one piggy in a bluebell and the other in a ferplast but they can’t really see each other that well & it takes up so much space at a right angle. Ideally I’m wanting to get rid of the bluebell and just start again with a whole new cage setup
But no idea where to start as I’ve never had to separate piggy’s before 🤣..
Did not think about using the top half of the bluebell for another set of pigs tho.. interesting 😂😉

At the moment I have one piggy in a bluebell and the other in a ferplast but they can’t really see each other that well & it takes up so much space at a right angle. Ideally I’m wanting to get rid of the bluebell and just start again with a whole new cage setup
But no idea where to start as I’ve never had to separate piggy’s before 🤣..
Did not think about using the top half of the bluebell for another set of pigs tho.. interesting 😂😉

I had the pair who in the top half of the hutch first. They are about to turn 5 years old and ever given me any trouble with their bond! I personally don’t like the fact that I have had to move them back into my bluebell given it is only a 5ft hutch and they’re used to a 6ft hutch but when the youngest two fell out and had to be separated I had no choice but to move the 5ft bluebell back into the shed to help able to make everybody fit in.

If yours are indoor, then a c&c makes a great solution for separated piggies and still enables them to live side by side.
They are only any good if they are secure in there though ie you don’t have any other pets. C&c are open topped so aren’t safe around cats or dogs (or small children for that matter) although you can fit lids.
The benefit of c&c is it can be made into shape to fit the space provided there is obviously enough room in each cage. Each of your boys will need a minimum of a 3x2 c&c, so for it to be in along line you obviously need a 6x2 and split it in half (a 6x2 measuring approx 220x77cm).

I had the pair who in the top half of the hutch first. They are about to turn 5 years old and ever given me any trouble with their bond! I personally don’t like the fact that I have had to move them back into my bluebell given it is only a 5ft hutch and they’re used to a 6ft hutch but when the youngest two fell out and had to be separated I had no choice but to move the 5ft bluebell back into the shed to help able to make everybody fit in.

If yours are indoor, then a c&c makes a great solution for separated piggies and still enables them to live side by side.
They are only any good if they are secure in there though ie you don’t have any other pets. C&c are open topped so aren’t safe around cats or dogs (or small children for that matter) although you can fit lids.
The benefit of c&c is it can be made into shape to fit the space provided there is obviously enough room in each cage. Each of your boys will need a minimum of a 3x2 c&c, so for it to be in along line you obviously need a 6x2 and split it in half (a 6x2 measuring approx 220x77cm).
I have been looking at the Midwest cage on Amazon (buying two) purely because they are cheaper than c&c, but not sure if they are any good!

I have been looking at the Midwest cage on Amazon (buying two) but not sure if they are any good!

They are fine, although I’ve never had one so I’m only saying they’re fine from a space point of view not from a use point of view (I use c&c grids as my spare cages when my boys need to come indoors). I think @Lorcan has had a Midwest before.
They measure 120x60cm so cover the minimum space needed for a single piggy.

If you are interested in c&c then candcguineapigcages is a UK based company. I have bought c&c from them before. Pricing wise, the c&c is considerably cheaper than the midwests

I did. I had two, actually, and at various times had them set up as a square, a long rectangle, or in an L shape. They're decent cages - basic, but the made-to-measure canvas is good and it's fairly solidly built for a bunch of 2ftx2ft grids.

I did. I had two, actually, and at various times had them set up as a square, a long rectangle, or in an L shape. They're decent cages - basic, but the made-to-measure canvas is good and it's fairly solidly built for a bunch of 2ftx2ft grids.
What do you have now? If you don’t mind me asking :)

A much larger C&C cage that covers most of the floor of my spare bedroom, lol. I had the Midwest cages with Comet and Blitzen, but that's 5 years ago now. Comet and Blitzen weren't separated though, I had the ramp down between the two.

These grids are cheap, I bought these for use as a bonding pen. You may want to buy a correx base but these grids would make two 3 x 2 cages
I found this on eBay too

C5E07334-B04C-4BB5-B59D-DA02CE6CB77E.webp

Did you DIY it or was it bought ? :) looks incredible
Thank you.
I bought the cages from C&C Cages then cobbled them together to fit the space and the piggies.
This started as an L shape then when I adopted a pair of rescue girls I bought another cage and did some DIY.

Back