Separated boys

LauraJane

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster so unsure if this is the right thread?
I have 2 boys (Gideon and Rossi) they were bought together and I was told that they were from the same litter. Their relationship has never been the best with teeth chattering etc but they have never got into fights until recently. We have separated them due to them getting into fights and drawing blood, we have failed to reintroduce them as Gideon doesn't seem open to this being an option as the instigator of the fights, however we have now noticed that he doesn't seem to be doing well on his own and just hides most of the time.
Any help would be appreciated.

:wel:

I’m so sorry to hear of their issues.
A good bond comes down to character compatibility but being from the same litter doesn’t guarantee that.
After a blood drawing fight a reintroduction will never be possible because the piggies aren’t compatible.

Have you got them living side by side? This will enable through the bar interaction.
The instigator of fights will often be upset to be separated but if be is actually getting lonely and can’t cope being alone, would you be able to look into getting him a new friend?
If this is a possibility, then doing so with the help of a rescue centre will be important to ensure he gets a character compatible friend and you don’t end up with three single piggies.
If you were to get another friend for him, ensure their cage is 180x60 cm (the size required for two boars).
The alternative could be to neuter him and get a sow friend for him (or even neuter them
Both and get them both a sow friend)

:wel:

I’m so sorry to hear of their issues.
A good bond comes down to character compatibility but being from the same litter doesn’t guarantee that.
After a blood drawing fight a reintroduction will never be possible because the piggies aren’t compatible.

Have you got them living side by side? This will enable through the bar interaction.
The instigator of fights will often be upset to be separated but if be is actually getting lonely and can’t cope being alone, would you be able to look into getting him a new friend?
If this is a possibility, then doing so with the help of a rescue centre will be important to ensure he gets a character compatible friend and you don’t end up with three single piggies.
If you were to get another friend for him, ensure their cage is 180x60 cm (the size required for two boars).
The alternative could be to neuter him and get a sow friend for him (or even neuter them
Both and get them both a sow friend)
They were side by side but even then Gideon didn't seem himself, unfortunately I haven't got the floor space for 2x4 c&c cages so we have had to stack them. I've made them both an appointment on Wednesday for a health check prior to neutering and then plan to get them each girlfriend via a guinea pig dating service 🤣at a local rescue but I'm just concerned that Gideon doesn't seem to be coping in the meantime

They really do need to be side by side so they can still have that interaction. Otherwise they will be alone for 6 weeks or more. Can you fit 2 2x3 next to each other? Maybe an L formation?

They were side by side but even then Gideon didn't seem himself, unfortunately I haven't got the floor space for 2x4 c&c cages so we have had to stack them. I've made them both an appointment on Wednesday for a health check prior to neutering and then plan to get them each girlfriend via a guinea pig dating service 🤣at a local rescue but I'm just concerned that Gideon doesn't seem to be coping in the meantime

Its great you can neuter and get them both girlfriends!

As Siikibam has said, Is there anyway you could fit two 2x3s in any formation - just anything so there is even part of the cage adjoining. It would be of benefit to him and would hopefully tide him over - as Siikibam has also mentioned, they need six weeks post neuter to become infertile before they can meet any girls so it’s a too long to not have any through bar interaction

They really do need to be side by side so they can still have that interaction. Otherwise they will be alone for 6 weeks or more. Can you fit 2 2x3 next to each other? Maybe an L formation?
Thank you! I hadn't thought of this but it might work 🤞I didn't realise that it would take 6 weeks for them to become infertile

Its great you can neuter and get them both girlfriends!

As Siikibam has said, Is there anyway you could fit two 2x3s in any formation - just anything so there is even part of the cage adjoining. It would be of benefit to him and would hopefully tide him over - as Siikibam has also mentioned, they need six weeks post neuter to become infertile before they can meet any girls so it’s a too long to not have any through bar interaction
It only seems fair to them that they both get a girlfriend if possible, it's just been a little crazy since we've had to seperate them Rossi always seemed to be the more dominate piggie

If Rossi seemed to be the Gideon but Gideon instigated the fights then either they both want to be dominant and that is what caused it, or Gideon got the point where he had basically had enough and made his feelings clear. Either way it’s lovely they are both going to get new friends

This may also be of use to you - A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

When you come to finding them a sow each, please do seriously consider taking them to a rescue that will bond them. These girls will already be health checked and guaranteed to not be pregnant. Get in touch with the rescues maybe 4-5 weeks after they’re neutered as they usually have a waiting list.
Recommended Guinea Pig Vets

Back