• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Senior Piggy Face Abcess

kirsten13

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and understand that this forum isn't a substitute for legitimate veterinary care, but my situation is somewhat unique and I could use whatever advice you may have to offer. I should start by saying that my 6 year old male guinea pig, Snickers, is not well socialized whatsoever. I have consistently worked with him since I adopted him as a baby and despite my efforts, he does not take well to being touched (aside from nose scritches, which he welcomes) or held. This past year, he has showed significant signs of stress in those types of situations so I have avoided them altogether. He has seen a vet a handful of times for various reasons over the years, but none of the visits have been recent due to his increased response to stress. Around 3 months ago, he poked himself in the eye with a piece of hay while eating and within a few days that same eye became very clouded, almost white. About a week later it cleared up and was back to normal, but he then developed a mass in the area between his nose and his eye. It almost looked as if he had something stored in his cheek, but was a bit higher up than that. He was not losing any hair around the area and was still eating/drinking normal so I let it be. Tonight, it broke open and a white cream-like liquid is leaking out. At what point do I risk his well-being to take him to the vet? Please keep in mind that topical and oral medications are out of the question even if he does see his vet because he simply will not let me administer them. I know in a perfect world, he should have been seen by a vet months ago, but I am worried that the stress alone of transferring him from his cage to a carrier, and then to the vet will literally kill him. It's also worth noting that just in the past 6 months, he has been tiring out quicker and breathing harder than normal when it comes to his daily activities so the process of trying to catch him to get him into the carrier really worries me. Do I just let the abcess drain on its own and then take it from there? I have also looked around to see if any of the veterinarians near me do house calls because that would be ideal, but it seems like that is a thing of the past or at least it is around here. I'm not sure if I already mentioned this or not, but he is still eating, drinking, urinating, and pooping normal. Aside from the breathing situation that pre-dates the eye issue and the abcess - he is acting normal. Any and all advice is welcome! Thank you.

-Kirsten

Welcome to the forum

I appreciate he doesn’t like being handled (most pigs don’t like being picked up and held - I only have one of my four (now three as one passed of old age three weeks ago) who does like being handled. All the others hate it but it has to be done for the weekly weight and health checks and nail clipping) but for health issues it’s so important.
He needs to be weighed every week as part of routine care and those weight checks then need to be changed to daily when they are unwell. You cannot know a piggy is eating enough hay by simply watching them - they can still be eating veg and still be eating some hay but even the smallest reduction in hay intake will cause weight loss. That weight loss needs to be mitigated by stepping in with syringe feeding. I know this isn’t easy in a piggy who won’t be handled but gut stasis kills so handling for weight checks and potential feeding is so important.

Eyes are considered urgent. The clouding tells us that his eye ulcerated. Eye injuries do require treatment to be started within 24 hours to achieve a good outcome. Complications from a hay poke injury can occur if ulceration isn’t treated. Not least because it is painful.

All we can advise is that for an abscess he must see a vet - you need stop the infection from getting worse and he will need painkillers.
Abscesses usually need to be kept open, with the scab picked off every time is crusts over and for it to be flushed out a few times a day.

Also, breathing harder can be a sign of a few issues which aren’t normal and do also need to be checked out.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Weight - Monitoring and Management
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Edit:
When I say the abcess "broke open", I really just mean that it started leaking. There isn't a hole or anything that I can see. Snickers has a black face so that makes things a little harder. His eyes produce a milky white substance daily that always goes away after he cleans his face and our vet had previously told me that this is normal for guinea pigs. Earlier tonight, he had a thicker white substance coming out of what I am assuming is his tear duct and it was a significantly larger amount than what his eye discharge is on a normal day. There was also a couple specs of blood in it as well. The abcess seems to have gotten smaller too after this happened. Attached below is a photo of him. The red circle is roughly where the problem area is.

Attachments

• orca-image--1357968605.webp
    orca-image--1357968605.webp
    29.5 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to the forum

I appreciate he doesn’t like being handled (most pigs don’t like being picked up and held - I only have one of my four (now three as one passed of old age three weeks ago) who does like being handled. All the others hate it but it has to be done for the weekly weight and health checks and nail clipping) but for health issues it’s so important.
He needs to be weighed every week as part of routine care and those weight checks then need to be changed to daily when they are unwell. You cannot know a piggy is eating enough hay by simply watching them - they can still be eating veg and still be eating some hay but even the smallest reduction in hay intake will cause weight loss. That weight loss needs to be mitigated by stepping in with syringe feeding. I know this isn’t easy in a piggy who won’t be handled but gut stasis kills so handling for weight checks and potential feeding is so important.

Eyes are considered urgent. The clouding tells us that his eye ulcerated. Eye injuries do require treatment to be started within 24 hours to achieve a good outcome. Complications from a hay poke injury can occur if ulceration isn’t treated. Not least because it is painful.

All we can advise is that for an abscess he must see a vet - you need stop the infection from getting worse and he will need painkillers.
Abscesses usually need to be kept open, with the scab picked off every time is crusts over and for it to be flushed out a few times a day.

Also, breathing harder can be a sign of a few issues which aren’t normal and do also need to be checked out.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Weight - Monitoring and Management
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)
Ok, thank you for the advice. I will take him in asap.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry your piggy is poorly. I’ve had a piggy with a tooth root abscess under his chin. He needed pain killers and antibiotics to clear it up. I hope you get on ok at the vets. 🤞🏻

He’s gorgeous btw 🥰

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry your piggy is poorly. I’ve had a piggy with a tooth root abscess under his chin. He needed pain killers and antibiotics to clear it up. I hope you get on ok at the vets. 🤞🏻

He’s gorgeous btw 🥰
Thank you for the well wishes!

Unfortunately, he probably has a large infection brewing in his face that he is not going to be able to fight off alone. Whether he finds it stressful or not, a vet visit is in order here so you can discuss your options and see what kind of treatment he would be able to tolerate. He's likely in pain (if you've ever had a dental abscess you'll know how rotten it feels to have a buildup of pus in your face!) All the best and I hope the vet can help.

Update:
I was finally able to get him in to see the vet today and unfortunately, there's no good news. The vet did a fine needle aspiration with general anesthesia and observed the cells under a microscope. He concluded that the mass is not an abcess, but is most likely a cancerous tumor. He does still have vision out of that left eye, but he said as the tumor grows - he will eventually lose sight in it. We have him on Metacam as a last ditch effort to control the inflammation and pain. But once that eye is pushed out of the socket or the tumor begins to obstruct his nasal passage - we will have to have him put to sleep. I love my little calico potato to death, but I will not sit back and watch him suffer💔

Attachments

• 20240423_103443.webp
    20240423_103443.webp
    70.8 KB · Views: 3
I’m so sorry it’s not better news. I hope the pain killers help give him lots more happy days with you.

I have a piggy with a suspected tumour. He’s on main meds now until his quality of life suffers then I’ll have to make that decision too. Sending you hugs. ❤️

So sorry for your situation.
My Phoebe suffered the same thing.
All that could be done was ensure she had as many happy todays as possible and the pain was kept under control.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry for the bad news. It's the kind that we all dread. :(

You may find this link here helpful in managing terminal care and dealing with all the ups and downs of this tricky time, making the best of it and working through the various ethical aspects involved etc. so when the time comes you can let him go with a clearer mind if not an easier heart.

Be aware that your grieving process starts right now (the bad news is the second worst point) and with the death itself. If you live this period more consciously you'll have a somewhat easier ride afterwards since the grieving homework is basically the same but the dynamics and the timing the various grieving stages differs.

This guide here doesn't make for easy reading but it can really help you through this time by addressing many aspects you will be facing in more practical detail and by not glossing over the sticky points as most others do: A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Love transcends time, and there is still a lifetime's worth to be had. My thoughts are with Snickers and you.

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry for the bad news. It's the kind that we all dread. :(

You may find this link here helpful in managing terminal care and dealing with all the ups and downs of this tricky time, making the best of it and working through the various ethical aspects involved etc. so when the time comes you can let him go with a clearer mind if not an easier heart.

Be aware that your grieving process starts right now (the bad news is the second worst point) and with the death itself. If you live this period more consciously you'll have a somewhat easier ride afterwards since the grieving homework is basically the same but the dynamics and the timing the various grieving stages differs.

This guide here doesn't make for easy reading but it can really help you through this time by addressing many aspects you will be facing in more practical detail and by not glossing over the sticky points as most others do: A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Love transcends time, and there is still a lifetime's worth to be had. My thoughts are with Snickers and you.
Thank you, I will definitely take a look at this when I get off work.

I am so sorry love he is a beautiful boy! i would take the time you have with him as bonus time, lots of love, cuddles with you if he will let you and lots of special time. Hope the pain medication aids, these little ones hide it so well and sadly you will know when it is time for him to go. Big hugs and lots of love.

Back