Senior Guinea Pig Suddenly Energetic?

MichelleM

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ganon is a six year old boar. His brother passed away in December and he's been living with a new mate who's a ~1 year old boar for about 3 months now.

His behavior wasn't depressed after his brother passed, but calmer. He didn't popcorn much, which I put to his older age, and I haven't heard him squeal or wheek much in the past year.

Today was different, though. He's squealing to ask for treats all of a sudden, wheras before he would chatter, or knock things, or chomp at his hutch. He did a littlr popcorn, and he even tried wheeking! But it doesn't sound like a wheek. It sounds like he's just blowing out air without that tea kettle like whiste you'd expect.

I'm happy to see him suddenly acting so energetic again, but it's unusal enough that I don't know if I should be worried. This may be a silly post, but does this sound concerning to anyone?

Just to add: he is wheeking a lot tonight. I haven't heard him wheek at all in the past year and suddenly he doesn't want to stop.

What a lovely post.

I found a few of my senior piggies would often get a fresh lease of life in early Spring.
Something about the warmer temperatures and new smells in the air I think.

Enjoy every minute! He sounds like a very happy boy.

It does sound like a dose of spring fever! I don't think you have anything to worry about there he's happy.
Our Red, 5.5 years old and a quite severely arthritic boy got very popcorn happy today when I was poop picking his cage. It's lovely to see the oldies so excited despite their dodgy legs.

Ganon is a six year old boar. His brother passed away in December and he's been living with a new mate who's a ~1 year old boar for about 3 months now.

His behavior wasn't depressed after his brother passed, but calmer. He didn't popcorn much, which I put to his older age, and I haven't heard him squeal or wheek much in the past year.

Today was different, though. He's squealing to ask for treats all of a sudden, wheras before he would chatter, or knock things, or chomp at his hutch. He did a littlr popcorn, and he even tried wheeking! But it doesn't sound like a wheek. It sounds like he's just blowing out air without that tea kettle like whiste you'd expect.

I'm happy to see him suddenly acting so energetic again, but it's unusal enough that I don't know if I should be worried. This may be a silly post, but does this sound concerning to anyone?
There is no such thing as a silly question- it’s much better to be reassured than to worry.
My older boar developed a new lease of life when he acquired 2 new wives and happily popcorns, rumbles and runs around.
Sounds as if Ganon is enjoying life :nod:

Back