• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Self-barbering / bald spot

amber89

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was doing today a health check on my piggies and noticed on Pufu a bald spot on his front paws. I know that that's he is constantly chewing on the hair on his front paws whenever he is unhappy with us handling him. It might be that he has such a patch also on his other front paw, but there it's harder to observe.

Should I worry?
We can't really go to a vet right now, unless it's a complete emergency (we are both in quarantine after my arrival on Friday from abroad)

IMG_20200426_091338.webp

That looks completely normal to me. One of my piggies is the same.

Hey all,

I was doing today a health check on my piggies and noticed on Pufu a bald spot on his front paws. I know that that's he is constantly chewing on the hair on his front paws whenever he is unhappy with us handling him. It might be that he has such a patch also on his other front paw, but there it's harder to observe.

Should I worry?
We can't really go to a vet right now, unless it's a complete emergency (we are both in quarantine after my arrival on Friday from abroad)

View attachment 140073

Hi!

This is normal mechanical abrasion from regular 'piggy washing'.

Please take the time to read this guide here; you will find it helpful in learning what is normal and what not: Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?

Back