• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Seizure

Queenjellybeany

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have been to the vets but something quite awful happened earlier today yen had one what I think was a seizure. There was a weird noise like one of my pigs jumped, and I looked over and yen was in the corner twitching and unresponsive.
I pulled her out and had her on my lap on a blanket, she was twitching a lot and wasn’t really responsive for a few minutes. Her bum infection has been bad again, I had already set up an appointment with my exotic vet for Tuesday as I know it was coursing her discomfort.
After I rang the vet, she had a little sip of water out the bottle and a few little treats and seemed better again.
I rushed her to my local vets but it wasn’t any exotic vets just regular ones. She said if she’s had one seizure the next one would be worse and she probably wouldn’t get through it. She was twitching a little when the vet was holding her is she was like look she’s basically still having one BUT yen does do little twitches when she doesn’t want to be touched in a “get off me pls” kind of way. When she was put back in the carrier she was totally fine, I decided to take the antibiotics from the vets anyway (baytril) and said if she has another one we will PTS. I am so upset and shocked.
She’s in her regular cage again and she seems okay, she’s walking around fine.

Let me know if anyone has advice, I will keep my appointment with my exotic vet for Tuesday so we will see what happens before then. Obv if there is a decline again I will take her vets for pts. I just want to do the right thing for her.

Ellie

I am so sorry you have had to go through that. I can only offer you my support I have no advise. I hope it was a one off and Yen will be okay.

Hi guys.
I have been to the vets but something quite awful happened earlier today yen had one what I think was a seizure. There was a weird noise like one of my pigs jumped, and I looked over and yen was in the corner twitching and unresponsive.
I pulled her out and had her on my lap on a blanket, she was twitching a lot and wasn’t really responsive for a few minutes. Her bum infection has been bad again, I had already set up an appointment with my exotic vet for Tuesday as I know it was coursing her discomfort.
After I rang the vet, she had a little sip of water out the bottle and a few little treats and seemed better again.
I rushed her to my local vets but it wasn’t any exotic vets just regular ones. She said if she’s had one seizure the next one would be worse and she probably wouldn’t get through it. She was twitching a little when the vet was holding her is she was like look she’s basically still having one BUT yen does do little twitches when she doesn’t want to be touched in a “get off me pls” kind of way. When she was put back in the carrier she was totally fine, I decided to take the antibiotics from the vets anyway (baytril) and said if she has another one we will PTS. I am so upset and shocked.
She’s in her regular cage again and she seems okay, she’s walking around fine.

Let me know if anyone has advice, I will keep my appointment with my exotic vet for Tuesday so we will see what happens before then. Obv if there is a decline again I will take her vets for pts. I just want to do the right thing for her.

Ellie

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry. Neurological events (including seizures) in guinea pigs are hardly researched so there is not a lot to go on by. Vets have to work from other species. We can sadly not help you.

I sincerely hope that it was a one-off event. But it is very much a tiger you have to ride wherever it takes you. :(

My thoughts are with you in this anxious time.

I am sorry you are going through this difficult time with your piggy, Yen. I hope things will turn out OK. Sending comforting vibes.

Hi everyone,
Thank you for all your lovely messages. Yen is my best mate so I’m very heartbroken at this moment.
I heard another thud and poor yen was on her back flailing.
I picked her up and had her on my lap for around an hour she seems better now. It’s so sad because it’s the weekend now and everywhere local to me is closed.

My local vet is open tomorrow morning but the only option will be to PTS.
She came to pretty quickly on my lap and had quite a few pea treats and water.
I’m very scared and worried and really not sure what the best case is for her. I know she’s probably running out of time? But I’m also scared to pts. I really don’t want her to go. She has been diagnosed with kidney failure so I’m not sure if the seizures were a sudden decline in that. I’ve really no clue, feel very lost at the moment.
I’ve popped her back in the cage and she had a walk around and then laid down again at the back of the cage.

Kidney failure can cause seizures in humans, so I think it could result in seizures in guinea pigs unfortunately. It is so difficult coming so soon after Yen bonded with her new cage mate and they were happy together. I suppose it depends on the severity and frequency of the seizures. If you aren't at home to help her, I wonder what would happen. It is a difficult decision. I'm not sure what I would do in the same situation. I wish you both strength and comfort.

Kidney failure can cause seizures in humans, so I think it could result in seizures in guinea pigs unfortunately. It is so difficult coming so soon after Yen bonded with her new cage mate and they were happy together. I suppose it depends on the severity and frequency of the seizures. If you aren't at home to help her, I wonder what would happen. It is a difficult decision. I'm not sure what I would do in the same situation. I wish you both strength and comfort.

BIG HUGS

It is so tough when you are forced to make major decisions without warning and without the grace of having time to settle down and think them through. Especially when it is one of these 'between a rock and a hard place' decisions where there is no easy way out. Nobody ever wants to find themselves in such a situation but they do unfortunately happen. :(

Perhaps thinking about these aspects may help you:
Yen has had two major seizures in just one day. They are very disturbing and disorientating for her. This means that there is not much time left. There is unfortunately a major risk that she may not make it through the weekend.

What do think you will struggle more with in the long term: sending her to the Rainbow Bridge a very days or even just hours early in order to save her any further upsets with the responsibility for the decision fully on your own shoulders or potentially finding her dead on her back when you come home and having to deal with the emotional fall-out from that? Either way comes with aspects that will take you time to come to terms with - but which would be more upsetting for you and harder to make peace with in the long term. Set your own fears and the feeling that you are no ready aside for the moment and listen to your heart. Then follow it.
Beyond all the the inevitable guilt, pain and trauma this is where you can find Yen again; because your decision has come from the same place where the bond that connects you with Yen originates.

This is how I make my own decisions for my piggies when I do not have the time and leisure to come to terms with them; if they come from my heart, then I will eventually find that I would have made the same decision if I'd had had more time and that I have made it out of love for my piggy and their needs first.

My thoughts are with you at this horrible time for you and Yen.

Just want to thank everyone again for the kindness.
Yen was pts this morning as she stopped eating and drinking. I wanted to hold out until I knew she’d had enough. I did my very very best but it wasn’t enough.

Yen has always been very poorly and this forum has always really helped me, I can’t thank everyone enough for the kindness and support.

Unfortunately this leaves me with her very recently bonded cage mate, cookie who is 6 years old. I have no idea what to do at the minute whether I can get another cage mate or to rehome, I adopted her and she seemed to be doing quite well here.

Any advice would mean so much

Just want to thank everyone again for the kindness.
Yen was pts this morning as she stopped eating and drinking. I wanted to hold out until I knew she’d had enough. I did my very very best but it wasn’t enough.

Yen has always been very poorly and this forum has always really helped me, I can’t thank everyone enough for the kindness and support.

Unfortunately this leaves me with her very recently bonded cage mate, cookie who is 6 years old. I have no idea what to do at the minute whether I can get another cage mate or to rehome, I adopted her and she seemed to be doing quite well here.

Any advice would mean so much

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry that you had to let Yen make her journey to the Rainbow Bridge. With your love, care and determination you have got her much farther than she would have otherwise had, with a happy and fulfilled life as much as possible thanks to you. She was as lucky to find you as you were lucky to find her. ❤️

But it is always totally heart-wrenching when you realise that you have reached the end of the road and that the only gift left is the most loving but also most gutting one. :(

As long as Cookie is eating and drinking and hanging in there on her own, look after yourself. Give yourself time to get through the worst of your own grief and your exhaustion. This will help to clear our head and heart just that bit that it is easier to look at the various options and what is around.

You are welcome to discuss the various pros, cons and challenges involved with every option when you are ready, but please look after yourself right now and do not rush out until you are past the adrenaline hangover blues, unless Cookie is unable to cope.

Back