Seeking advice on the best and easiest way to trim my piggies nails.

Popcorns & Wheeks

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm looking for some much needed advice on the best and easiest way I can trim my piggies nails. My partner was always the one who trimmed them in the past and always did it with no problem but since my relationship broke down the job of trimmer has now fallen upon me and unfortunately, I am finding it quite difficult 😬.

Being a person with exceptionally small hands and being mommy to two wriggling little angels, I am finding it really hard holding them up and chopping their nails at the same time. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if anyone can give me any guidance on how to make the job easier? Thankyou x

This thread may help you.

Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails

I do my piggies nails myself. I sit them on my legs (I’m on the floor with them) and hold them with their back into my stomach supporting them with my forearm and then hold the foot and clip.

The easiest thing might be for you to go to the vet nurse for a clipping or two. They can show you some ways to make it easier.

I have four piggies, two are a dream when it comes to cutting nails, one is ok as long as they are fed a continual length of coriander and Kiki is just a nightmare with thick black nails and an attitude to match. She’s very sweet normally but as soon as she sees the clippers she off and it’s a two man struggle of whits. My OH feeds her and I place her back against my tummy and do my best 🙄 I absolutely dread it!
Have you got a family member or friend who could help you 😉

I do my piggies nails myself. I sit them on my legs (I’m on the floor with them) and hold them with their back into my stomach supporting them with my forearm and then hold the foot and clip.

The easiest thing might be for you to go to the vet nurse for a clipping or two. They can show you some ways to make it easier.
This is how my cello teacher cut his guineapig nails. I hold each girl under my arm, while the dog groomer clips the nails!

I have four piggies, two are a dream when it comes to cutting nails, one is ok as long as they are fed a continual length of coriander and Kiki is just a nightmare with thick black nails and an attitude to match. She’s very sweet normally but as soon as she sees the clippers she off and it’s a two man struggle of whits. My OH feeds her and I place her back against my tummy and do my best 🙄 I absolutely dread it!
Have you got a family member or friend who could help you 😉
Kiki sounds alot like my two! They are so well behaved until the clippers come out too. Yer, nail trimming is a dreaded event in my house too 😬.

Yer I do have my mam but she is a panicker like myself, we always panic incase we catch their wicks.

Kiki sounds alot like my two! They are so well behaved until the clippers come out too. Yer, nail trimming is a dreaded event in my house too 😬.

Yer I do have my mam but she is a panicker like myself, we always panic incase we catch their wicks.

Are their nails light or dark coloured? It’s easier in light nails because you can see the quick easily. If they are dark, you can shine a torch up through the nail and it can sometimes help you see the quick.
If you only take a little off the nail each time and do it regularly, it is much easier to avoid risking any catching of the quick

In addition to the advise already given i would also suggest that if you and/or the piggy are finding it stressful then just do one foot or even one claw a day until you become more relaxed and confident

I do it this way, I’ve done mine this morning, they used to it now and don’t wriggle or bite. They know I’m not hurting them.

All the above is good advice. A nurse at my vets practice showed me how to do it. Do a tiny bit at a time until your confidence grows. It's easier said than done but try and exude confidence so your piggies know you're in charge. Good luck it can be done. I was a nervous wreck and used to pay the vet to do it. When I decided to adopt 6 boys I knew I had to learn . Three have black nails so it wasn't easy. Be brave. You will be so proud of yourself when you achieve it 🤗

Are their nails light or dark coloured? It’s easier in light nails because you can see the quick easily. If they are dark, you can shine a torch up through the nail and it can sometimes help you see the quick.
If you only take a little off the nail each time and do it regularly, it is much easier to avoid risking any catching of the quick
Hi, they are dark coloured. Yes taking a little bit off at a time does seem like a good plan, I'm just hoping they will stay still long enough for me to do this. Thanks 🙂

My vet takes off a little bit at a time. She uses either claw clippers or human clippers (I go with the people ones seeing as that's what came out of the cracker)
She also suggested positioning them and squeezing slowly - then if you get a sudden shriek from the pressure you can stop before you cut through!
And although it's a bit unethical and couldn't possibly be recommended I find that if I turn Louise on her back in my arms like a hairy baby her instinct is to play dead and I can sometimes get quite a few done before she wriggles over again! Bad mamma, bad!

Hello all, I'm looking for some much needed advice on the best and easiest way I can trim my piggies nails. My partner was always the one who trimmed them in the past and always did it with no problem but since my relationship broke down the job of trimmer has now fallen upon me and unfortunately, I am finding it quite difficult 😬.

Being a person with exceptionally small hands and being mommy to two wriggling little angels, I am finding it really hard holding them up and chopping their nails at the same time. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if anyone can give me any guidance on how to make the job easier? Thankyou x
Johnsons antibacterial powder on stand by
In case of trimming too short, gives confidence while clipping nails (pets @ home £3). Also another pair of hands is only way for me. Hope this helps 🤞

Back