• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Scraped the bottom of my car :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayceeStar

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Has anybody ever driven over a bit of raised pavement or similar and damaged the bottom of their car? I went out for dinner with the girls tonight and when I pulled out of the space I drive over this raised block that a tree is planted in. It made a horrid noise and now I'm really worried I've damaged my car. My dad is going to look in the morning but I'm not going to sleep tonight, if something has happened that needs fixing, there's no way I'll be able to pay for it :(
I'm being silly I know, as what's done is done, but I'm not gonna be able to get it off my mind :(

my boyfriend is mad about cars,
and he's always said, it can't be anything too serious if there's no fluid pouring out, or nothing hanging down (like the downpipe from the exhaust!)

fingers crossed for you it will be okay!

ive done this a handful of times (usually by pulling up too far and scraping it on the cement rectangle thing in front of parking spots, or by pulling out on to a dip in the road that makes it bounce-idk if that makes sense lol). but the point is, there's never been any real damage done. I'm sure it'll be fine! :)

Don't worrie...
I once made the biggest tit out of myself doing something similar...

I'd parked up by the air and water pumps at a petrol station... And the kirb was on the left and then came round the front of the car... I merrily run off to go in to the shop and buy some fags... Run back to the car get in... (and I don't pull away slowly from anywhere)... And floor my car in 1st gear...Smash in to the kirb... Only to scare the life out of my self and scream... 'DID I JUST HIT A F-ING CAT'... And my window was open... And who happens to be directly opposite me but a group of very good looking topless lads fixing a van... And now there absolutely p*ssing themselves laughing at me...

Shouldn't have done any damage... I'd have thought the front of the car would be design for this sort of thing...
My car was fine... :))
x

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've been driving nearly 2 years and never damaged my car really other than the first day, so these sort of things really worry me :( Dad seems convinced that I may have damaged the sills? As soon as its light I'll be making him go out and check! I've also just paid £100 for a new headlight switch as the lights kept turning off, and now they've broken again. Oh and one of my back seatbelts Is stuck and unusable. Sometimes I hate cars!

Oh...
What I will say is... Watch out for oil on your drive... Especially if it on the passenger side of the car...
I once fell down a hole... In my car... That was directly after a speed bump... And I mean I hit my car hard... And (now I don't know wether this is correct I'm just quoting a mechanic from memory)
And... I cracked my crank shaft... And got oil on my clutch... Which ment I had a pretty small oil leak on the drive... But my car would constantly rev itself... And my clutch started sticking... Crappy car...
Ended up with a new clutch... Crank shaft and valves...(?) etc.
x

most cars have the exhaust that hangs down the lowest of everything on the bottom, then the framework itself which can take a knock or two then you get into things like the petrol tank and shafts etc. If you scrapped the mid to back section then you quite possible have scratched your exhaust and not done anything too much, if it was more the engine area then I would suggest you have a check as others have suggested for puddles of oil or liquids, best to periodically check for these things all around the car anyway.

My friend has to park her car off a high camber in the road and always crunches the car body with no ill effects.

Has anybody ever driven over a bit of raised pavement or similar and damaged the bottom of their car? I went out for dinner with the girls tonight and when I pulled out of the space I drive over this raised block that a tree is planted in. It made a horrid noise and now I'm really worried I've damaged my car. My dad is going to look in the morning but I'm not going to sleep tonight, if something has happened that needs fixing, there's no way I'll be able to pay for it :(
I'm being silly I know, as what's done is done, but I'm not gonna be able to get it off my mind :(

Does it feel okay? cars usually sound worse than they are mallethead

Aw sounds like the likelihood of any major damage is low...I once grazed the underside of my front bumper cos I parked with it hanging over a kerb and my cars quite low so when I reversed it it scraped it. Just poke your head under in daylight and if there's no leaks you should be ok :)

Don't worrie...

I'd parked up by the air and water pumps at a petrol station... And the kirb was on the left and then came round the front of the car... I merrily run off to go in to the shop and buy some fags... Run back to the car get in... (and I don't pull away slowly from anywhere)... And floor my car in 1st gear...Smash in to the kirb... Only to scare the life out of my self and scream... 'DID I JUST HIT A F-ING CAT'... And my window was open... And who happens to be directly opposite me but a group of very good looking topless lads fixing a van... And now there absolutely p*ssing themselves laughing at me...

Shouldn't have done any damage... I'd have thought the front of the car would be design for this sort of thing...
x

:)) this gave me a good laugh picturing it happening!

Thats good :) You know the seat belt, will it have to be replaced completely? We had to have one fully replaced as dog chewed it and it wouldn't have passed MOT without it, it was really expensive!

Eeek, I haven't really looked properly at the seatbelt yet! My MOT isn't due till September and it's very very rare that I actually have people in the back of my car so hopefully I've got plenty of time to get it sorted!

Don't worrie...

x

lol that sounds similar to what i done i havent been driving long and i pulled in to get petrol i was driving my dads car which is a big seven seater, i filled up ran in to pay then when i went to pull out i forgot about the kerb thing that the pumps were on and the back wheel went up on it and the bumper hit the rubbish bin and made a huge noise and the man working in the shop came running out :red

Sooner or later everyone has an accident - but mercifully most are minor scrapes.

I tend to think in terms of the Buddhist broken glass meditation - the glass is already broken, it hasn't happened yet but it is inevitable that it will be one day. Take care of the glass and use it carefully, but should it break, accept that this is the way it always was.

Insert car instead of glass :)

Paula

try the wd40 suggestion, might get the pully working or if it doesnt, have a look at scrap yards for a second hand seatbelt - much cheaper than a new one. I have had to replace 3 in my old polo before I changed to my current car as the dog had chewed one each time I replaced it mallethead would only wait till near MOT time incase she fancied another chew before I replaced it. Its why she is muzzled or in a crate now in the car rolleyes

I tend to think in terms of the Buddhist broken glass meditation - the glass is already broken, it hasn't happened yet but it is inevitable that it will be one day. Take care of the glass and use it carefully, but should it break, accept that this is the way it always was.

Insert car instead of glass :)

my new motto :(|)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back