Scissors For Fur Trimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have recently rescued 3 guineas, 2 are long haired and I was wondering is there a particular type of scissors I should use to trim their fur? I'm really nervous and I don't want to accidentally hurt them as even brushing them is a struggle at the moment!
Any advice would be great as these are my first long hairs.

We use ordinary small scissors, always hold the fur as you brush this will limit the pulling and lessen the fidgeting :)) Would recommend trimming the bum fur quite short as this will reduce matt's and poo stuck in it :) One of our first piggies is in our Avatar and she was long haired, we didn't find it much work to be honest. Just regular bum trims and a comb a week

maisie has her very own beard trimmer. i find it much easier and more gentle than scissors. does make me laugh though because she does have a tash, but it's her skirt that we have to trim for her :))

I bought a pair of trimming scissors from Pets at Home. Its in the dog grooming section and cost about a £5. They work really well and gave pie a very good cut. Porkie on the other hand (avatar) made a run for it and I didn't have the heart to chase after her too much.

i had a texel that hated being brushed so just ran my fingers through and cut out any tats. Do the same with my peruvian. She only gets combed through when she has had a bath and if there is any resistance i dont pull. I just use sharp blunt ended scissors in case she jumps.Never tried beard trimmers. Good luck

Until I was confident trimming I used baby nail scissors, the round ended ones, gave me the confidence I wasn't going to hurt them. Time consuming as could only snip small amounts at a time

My clippers have not arrived yet so I used the pet grooming scissors. I found that if I lifted Porkie up then I could snip all I liked and she wouldn't wiggle away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back