School Guinea Pigs - Is it too cold?

OM91

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. Primary school teacher here who's "adopted" the school guinea pigs as their quality of life hasn't been great.

They're both four years old and only come into school three days a week but as the weather gets colder, I'm concerned for their health when they visit school.

I've read that any temperature below 15 degrees isn't good. With our heating not due to come on until the end of November, I'm wondering if they should stay at home with my girlfriend where it's warmer.

It's taken a lot of work on our part to get them properly groomed and to a healthy weight. They seem so much happier. I really don't want them going backwards.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance :)

Firstly, well done for taking them out of a living in a classroom environment.
Piggies are not suited to classrooms due to being prey animals and they require a stable environment.

I notice you’ve put adopted in speech marks - does this mean they still technically belong to the school? Are you able to say you don’t want them going into class at all?

If you are not able to stop them going into the class room altogether ie you don’t technically own them, then it would be best if you can do your best to keep them protected from fluctuations as much as possible and consequently at home while you can’t ensure they are kept within a stable temperature.

If you fully own them and can end their need to go into a classroom at all, then our advice would be to do so and to keep them at home all the time.

Guinea Pigs as Classroom Pets - Why Not

Thanks so much for your reply.

Unfortunately they still belong to the school, although I'm paying monthly pet insurance for them and have registered them with my local vet. I've suggested to our leadership team that I buy them from the school and it's something that they're considering.

I tend to keep them away from the children unless they're in small groups of calm children that I can supervise.

Thank you for your advice. It sounds like keeping them at home will be the best option, at least until our heating comes on.

Firstly, well done for taking them out of a living in a classroom environment.
Piggies are not suited to classrooms due to being prey animals and they require a stable environment.

I notice you’ve put adopted in speech marks - does this mean they still technically belong to the school? Are you able to say you don’t want them going into class at all?

If you are not able to stop them going into the class room altogether ie you don’t technically own them, then it would be best if you can do your best to keep them protected from fluctuations as much as possible and consequently at home while you can’t ensure they are kept within a stable temperature.

If you fully own them and can end their need to go into a classroom at all, then our advice would be to do so and to keep them at home all the time.

Guinea Pigs as Classroom Pets - Why Not
Thank you also for the link! This is really helpful and confirms many of my concerns.

While they aren’t yours you need to do what you can! It’s a tricky situation!
Fingers crossed the leadership will let you fully take ownership

How do you travel to school? If by your own car then it may be easier to manage but do bear in mind that even after the school heating comes on, they still need to be kept warm enough on the journey also. It’s sudden temperature fluctuations from inside to outside which they won’t cope well with. A few seconds walk from a house to car and then into school should be ok (blankets over carrier etc) but something to bear in mind.

While they aren’t yours you need to do what you can! It’s a tricky situation!
Fingers crossed the leadership will let you fully take ownership

How do you travel to school? If by your own car then it may be easier to manage but do bear in mind that even after the school heating comes on, they still need to be kept warm enough on the journey also. It’s sudden temperature fluctuations from inside to outside which they won’t cope well with. A few seconds walk from a house to car and then into school should be ok (blankets over carrier etc) but something to bear in mind.
Thank you for this. I have to admit I haven't been asking for permission to keep them at home but nobody has disputed it, which is good.

I have a carrier with enough room for them to move around. The journey is about 15 minutes. My girlfriend even bought them at heat pad for the journey. I try to turn the heat up gradually so the fluctuation isn't too dramatic.

Thank you again for all your advice. It's really helpful to know I'm on the right track.

Thank you for this. I have to admit I haven't been asking for permission to keep them at home but nobody has disputed it, which is good.

I have a carrier with enough room for them to move around. The journey is about 15 minutes. My girlfriend even bought them at heat pad for the journey. I try to turn the heat up gradually so the fluctuation isn't too dramatic.

Thank you again for all your advice. It's really helpful to know I'm on the right track.

That is good and ultimately the right thing for the piggies welfare.

A heatpad is a good idea for the journey particularly once winter really approaches. Obviously there are times when indoor piggies need to go outside for journeys ie to the vets but making sure they are kept as warm as possible for the duration is important. Anything more than 5 or so degrees either way would be considered a big and sudden fluctuation and this is why indoor piggies can’t go outside for lawn time etc once it gets cold; and equally why outdoor dwelling piggies (who have many weeks to get used to cooling temperatures) can’t come indoors during winter.

Keep us posted on whether you get to officially call them yours.

That is good and ultimately the right thing for the piggies welfare.

A heatpad is a good idea for the journey particularly once winter really approaches. Obviously there are times when indoor piggies need to go outside for journeys ie to the vets but making sure they are kept as warm as possible for the duration is important. Anything more than 5 or so degrees either way would be considered a big and sudden fluctuation and this is why indoor piggies can’t go outside for lawn time etc once it gets cold; and equally why outdoor dwelling piggies (who have many weeks to get used to cooling temperatures) can’t come indoors during winter.

Keep us posted on whether you get to officially call them yours.
Thank you again for everything. Luckily, I found a plug in radiator. I have a small room within my classroom so I'm planning to keep the room heated at a stable temperature away from the children.

I'll definitely keep you updated as to when we officially adopt them. I really can't wait to give them the stability and pampering that they deserve!

Back