Scented Woodshavings

• Thread starter Thread starter LisaManship1980
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LisaManship1980

when looking for some new bedding yesterday in pets@home i came across scented woodshavings - lemon scent and lavender scent. does anyone know if this is safe to use as i thought it might help reduce little pongs from the cage.

I would say no as surely they irritate the delicate respiratry trait? So, yes I would NOT use them.

well that was my way of thinking also. so why then can these pet shops sell them? :tickedoff: also on the back of p@h hay they say that sawdust is suitable bedding for piggies 98)

It annoys me when Pet Shops and Stores give out the wrong kind of signs for us pet owners. As a novice with Guineas I'm still learning and would ask first before I done something I wasn't sure of. I'm so thankful for this forum! ;D But then you have the shops that have Guinea Pig harnesses and leads and it just makes you think what the hell are they thinking?

I took off in P @ H last week as a woman was looking at a black dress for a dog, Emily thought it was funny and I shouted no them, animals don't need clothes they have coats, anyone buying them should just have a baby if they want to play dress up or buy a doll! :o

Nutters I tell yas!

Louise
:)

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
I took off in P @ H last week as a woman was looking at a black dress for a dog, Emily thought it was funny and I shouted no them, animals don't need clothes they have coats, anyone buying them should just have a baby if they want to play dress up or buy a doll! :o

Nutters I tell yas!

;D ;D ;D

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
It annoys me when Pet Shops and Stores give out the wrong kind of signs for us pet owners. As a novice with Guineas I'm still learning and would ask first before I done something I wasn't sure of. I'm so thankful for this forum! ;D But then you have the shops that have Guinea Pig harnesses and leads and it just makes you think what the hell are they thinking?

Nutters I tell yas!

Louise
:)
my thoughts exactly ;D ;D i wouldn't use the scented stuff, it can't be good foe them. and as someone said they ahve delicate respiratory (sp?) tracts. :tickedoff: stupid people and shops. :tickedoff:

i've read on some piggy websites that a layer of newspaper, then woodshavings, then hay is the best as bedding so should i stay clear of shavings altogether then? ?

LisaManship1980 said:
i've read on some piggy websites that a layer of newspaper, then woodshavings, then hay is the best as bedding so should i stay clear of shavings altogether then? ?

I know a lot of rescues who will refuse to adopt out to owners who use shavings. I stopped using it years ago when I found pigs were ending up with sore feet, dry skin and poor breathing. Some people I'm sure claim they've had no problems but the differences when the pigs come off shavings are amazing. I've seen piggies belonging to others with their feet bright red from shavings. As I've recommended to others who use them, just pick up a handful, rub them into your hands for half a minute and you can see how uncomfortable it feels - not nice!

Hay on newspaper is fine as bedding, just miss out the shavings!

I dont use newspaper with Gilly as he is a litle monster for chewing and too much ink can be toxic for them so if you have a chewer then I personally would avoid newspaper. just my humble opinion though.

Amy.x. :smitten:

I think modern newpaper ink is safe? ? Isn't it soya based or something?

Oh, and I never use woodshavings now - they are bad for piggies. I did use them for the first few weeks when I didn't know any better and Cobweb had problems with his nose and general itching. All fine now!

We used wood shavings under the newspaper at first for extra absorbtion, but we don't even do that now after all i've read on here about it....

Newspaper is ok tho isn't it? Aren't the inks they use now safer? I remember reading something about it being soya based now too....?

I use woodshavings, but they are finer ones i use and are softer than the ruff larger pieces..i am one of those who has never had a problem with sawdust, my girls feet are no different to my boys who are housed on towels and polyester sheets, they have never had any breathing difficulties, or dry skin..ive never found a problem with shavings tbh, i would prefer to house my girls on towels, but their run is too large and its a concrete floor so the sawdust helps to insulate it, they do have hay on top of their sawdust in the bed area..all my pigs seem happy on sawdust though :)

I have got the lemon woodshavings used before had no problems but just noticed one of my new pigs eye is not right going to vets in the morning. Could the shavings have caused this? Think when I change the bedding will just use newspaper and hay had changed to just woodshavings and hay but may do it with the paper and hay

thanks people I thought they were ok as the packet said so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back