Scary Morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer D

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I had a traumatizing morning. I went in to check on the pigs and found Oreo with her head stuck in a little cardboard box stuffed full of hay that I'd given them yesterday. She wasn't moving and I seriously thought she was dead but when I reached for the box, she boogied to the other side of the cage, box and all! Thank God! I tore the box around her neck and pulled her out and off she goes to eat some hay in the corner. I dodged a bullet on that one! I have no idea how she did it- must have chewed into the box and then pushed her head in to get at more hay. Phew, no more small opening opportunities for these pigs! My heart did a little flip flop! I'm so glad she's okay. I have no idea how long she'd been in there though as I last checked on them around 9:30 when I headed to bed- poor girl! I'm going to keep an eye on her today and make sure she's acting like the usual but I think I was more traumatized than she was!

Oh my gosh! How scary. Once I stuffed a tissue box with hay for my pigs but one hot her head stuck so I never did it again.

Oh my gosh! How scary. Once I stuffed a tissue box with hay for my pigs but one hot her head stuck so I never did it again.
It's funny, I made sure to but barriers around the sides of their cages because I was worried that they could somehow get their heads stuck there somehow and I know little Vixen is small enough to go through some of the squares. Unfortunately, the only place I've ever been able to find the cubes for the c and c cages is at Walmart. The package comes with grids that have the right sizes for the guinea pigs but also half of them are twice the size of those ones. I use those on the rear and the places too high for the piggies to reach and then use the proper size grids for the sides of the cage where they live. I never thought of them getting stuck anywhere else! Yikes! Now I'm all worried they might somehow get stuck in the paper bags I give them! I'll have to get bigger ones now! The pig world is now fraught with danger at every turn! lol

It's funny, I made sure to but barriers around the sides of their cages because I was worried that they could somehow get their heads stuck there somehow and I know little Vixen is small enough to go through some of the squares. Unfortunately, the only place I've ever been able to find the cubes for the c and c cages is at Walmart. The package comes with grids that have the right sizes for the guinea pigs but also half of them are twice the size of those ones. I use those on the rear and the places too high for the piggies to reach and then use the proper size grids for the sides of the cage where they live. I never thought of them getting stuck anywhere else! Yikes! Now I'm all worried they might somehow get stuck in the paper bags I give them! I'll have to get bigger ones now! The pig world is now fraught with danger at every turn! lol
With a paper bag they could chew their way out at least!

My boy Clyde got his head stuck between the bars of his metal run one day, when he was very small. It was before he was neutered, and he wanted to get at the girls in the next run. I phoned the emergency vet. He said "Can you move the run?" Thank Heavens, a couple of minutes later, Clyde had managed to extricate himself and no harm done. After that, I blocked the girls from his sight when they were outside in their runs. When he reached 800 grams, he was neutered and a month later, he was able to join his girls. Poor little guy!

Wow that must have been scary! Sometimes these things happen no matter how safe we try to be. x x

Wow, that must of been scary. My guinea pig jumped out my arms once and thank goodness landed on my bed. My heart flew into my mouth.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back