Scared to bond my piggy

piggy_smalls

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a single 6 month old boy. He is absolutely the apple of our eye and we adore him. He is a gentle soul and such a little character.

He was bullied by his previous cage mate so has ended up alone for the past few months. I have now been in touch with two people local to me who have single boys who also need friends and I have the opportunity to bond my boy with one of them.

The thing is, I’m absolutely terrified of introducing him to another male. He is such happy boy, always zooming and popcorning but he’s very small and sensitive and I don’t want him to be hurt. I’ve just got this horrible feeling that the other pigs will attack him.

Someone please tell me it’ll be ok. And tell me getting him a pal is the right thing to do even though he’s perfectly happy and settled.

I am so torn.

Pic of my little boy just because!

Attachments

• IMG_3637.webp
    IMG_3637.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 1
Bonding is a nerve wracking time but please try not to be scared - It absolutely is the best thing for you to try to find him a friend.
Even if a bond fails and they can’t live in the same cage, living side by side is the the next best thing to do - that way there is still interaction between the bars which prevents loneliness.

Good luck with it, make sure to let us know how things go

I have a single 6 month old boy. He is absolutely the apple of our eye and we adore him. He is a gentle soul and such a little character.

He was bullied by his previous cage mate so has ended up alone for the past few months. I have now been in touch with two people local to me who have single boys who also need friends and I have the opportunity to bond my boy with one of them.

The thing is, I’m absolutely terrified of introducing him to another male. He is such happy boy, always zooming and popcorning but he’s very small and sensitive and I don’t want him to be hurt. I’ve just got this horrible feeling that the other pigs will attack him.

Someone please tell me it’ll be ok. And tell me getting him a pal is the right thing to do even though he’s perfectly happy and settled.

I am so torn.

Pic of my little boy just because!

Hi

The best place for you and your boy to turn to locally is Cavy Corner Guinea Pig Rescue in Doncaster. They can do introductions so the crucial first hurdles are taken before you bring home a new mate - or not if it doesn't work out. But you won't be left with two piggies that do not get on. Rescue dating is such a great help and such a wonderful service that some rescues are offering.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs (including some information on rescue dating)

Firstly he's utterly gorgeous. Please try to get him a friend. I had a similar situation with my original pair and they couldn't even live as neighbours. To my suprise my bullied boy, who is a very gentle, calm and laid back chap, is the dominant now. Many forum members will testify that a good boar bond is a lovely thing.
It's fantastic that you have access to a rescue that offer a dating service, I would fully take advantage of it.

Firstly he's utterly gorgeous. Please try to get him a friend. I had a similar situation with my original pair and they couldn't even live as neighbours. To my suprise my bullied boy, who is a very gentle, calm and laid back chap, is the dominant now. Many forum members will testify that a good boar bond is a lovely thing.
It's fantastic that you have access to a rescue that offer a dating service, I would fully take advantage of it.
Thank you! He is gorgeous and we absolutely adore him. He's such a good boy. :love: He's got so much personality and he's always zooming. I just feel bad that he lost his original friend but it was for the best as they really didn't get on. There's a baby boy available at the rescue who say we can go and meet him with Eddie to see if they bond. It's only 15 minutes away in the car which is fantastic. Fingers crossed for us. :)

Oh he’s gorgeous. Bonding is always nerve wracking and there’s never any guarantees thst it will work out, but it’s definitely best to try to find him a companion.

Back