Scared Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlottepiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
as some of you well know i have 3 new guinea pigs not had them long
they try running away biting and they scratching me i dont think they like me at all
any ideas helpful thank you

Give them some space for 2-3 days, they're very frightened when they're new. Talk to them gently without touching them, maybe offer them some veg and see if they'll take it from you. Keep a nice quiet environment and let them come to you. It does take time but everything is on their terms and before you know it they'll start to trust you and the bonding begins :)

There is a section on here about how to understand your guinea pig. My tablet wont copy so cant link it.

They dont hate you they are just new and as prey animals their instinct is to bide. Let them settle for a few days until the sounds and smells of their new home become more familiar to them.

I found that chatting to them and giving corriander or fresh grass whenever i went near their cage helped them to see me in a more favouable !ight!

Mistletoe and Jingle are still easily spooked but will now take food from my hand. It has taken a few months to get to this stage.

Good luck.

i always feed them after i hold them i am so used to my old pigs i guess it will take time thank you for your help

Sounds like they are a little scared at the moment but not to worry they will soon calm down and settle.

It may be worth offering food to your piggies while they are in their cage and hopefully after time they will take it off you - Food is the best way to bribe, use food when you get round to lap times also. Start lap time for a short amount of time at first and build up. We started off we laptimes for 1 minute with new piggies then pop them back, slowly increasing the time. They will soon associate you with food and good things but at first it takes a while to gain their trust.

Have a look at this also How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back