Scared of picking up my boys. Could i traumatize them?

Claude&Dimitri

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ive had my 2 boys since april and they are used to me and dont run when I'm around them or touching them with my finger. But whenever ive tried to put both my hand in they run, understandably, but I'm worried if i chase them in order to get them used to being picked up i can stress them out and it would be worse than them not being tame. Is it okay to chase them to begin the process?

Welcome

Not wanting to be picked up is normal. Most piggies will never want to be caught with bare hands as it is akin to being eaten. Definitely don’t chase them

The best way to pick them up is by herding the into a box or carrier and then picking them up from there.
It is important you do this even if they don’t like it, as they need to be weighed once a week as part of routine care. Weight checks are the only way to ensure they are eating enough hay, and weight loss can sometimes be the first sign of a brewing illness

I have four piggies, two of whom are 6 years old (the other two are 18 months) and they still don’t like being picked up. I do handle them every week for their weight and health checks and nail clipping but I don’t handle them just for cuddles as they don’t like it. Instead I sit on the floor with them and they come to interact with me on their terms.

The guide below explains more.

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Welcome

Not wanting to be picked up is normal. Most piggies will never want to be caught with bare hands as it is akin to being eaten. Definitely don’t chase them

The best way to pick them up is by herding the into a box or carrier and then picking them up from there.
It is important you do this even if they don’t like it, as they need to be weighed once a week as part of routine care. Weight checks are the only way to ensure they are eating enough hay, and weight loss can sometimes be the first sign of a brewing illness

I have four piggies, two of whom are 6 years old (the other two are 18 months) and they still don’t like being picked up. I do handle them every week for their weight and health checks and nail clipping but I don’t handle them just for cuddles as they don’t like it. Instead I sit on the floor with them and they come to interact with me on their terms.

The guide below explains more.

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)
Thank you so much for the info. I can definitely try the box method, i just have one question about it. Can i lift them out of the box with my hands once there inside for nail clippings, etc?

Thank you so much for the info. I can definitely try the box method, i just have one question about it. Can i lift them out of the box with my hands once there inside for nail clippings, etc?

Yes, absolutely. Once they are in the box you will find picking them up easier (they may still not like it though!).
(It’s chasing round their territory which is the issue)

I sometimes use this to pick up my boys. One at a time. Don’t try and fit two in.

I also weigh them in this.
IMG_3855.webp

Back