• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scaly skin on bum

Butatoes

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Dear piggy friends,

So sorry for posting this but I really need your help 😢 I will call the vet tomorrow during work hours but I’m terribly worried at the moment. Could you please give us some advice on this please?

Just now we found our two one and half years old boars Mister Potato and Bunny having some scaly white skin flakes from the waist down to the bum where the long fur covers, excluding private area and nipples.

There is no bald patch and the hair does not come off easily. I can remove the skin flake from the fur easily without taking off any hair. The piggies have been eating, drinking and sleeping normally, didn’t scratch more than normal as well. After grooming with the pet brush the flakes came off and their skin appear to be fresh pink and smooth.

Please see the photo for more details, sorry it might be a bit scary ;( I did some research around and I guess it doesn’t seem to be an fungal infection or parasitic problem? If anyone have any idea about it please let us know, thank you so much!

Our piggies live indoor in the living room on fleeces and we clean the beddings every two weeks the most. In addition to hay and piggy food from pets at home, they have fresh veggie and grass everyday. During weekend they could go on free grazing and sun bathing on grasses in our backyard for 1-2 hours if the weather is nice. They’ve always been eating and drinking healthily. We covered them with coconut oil and washed them off about three months ago and had a anti mite Bath then but haven’t washed them since because it’s never warm here I’m scared of potential risks from bathing them 😟 I really wish them to be happy and healthy 😢

Attachments

• E6E12DC2-0D4A-494D-A469-3DCDA3B8BDF3.webp
    E6E12DC2-0D4A-494D-A469-3DCDA3B8BDF3.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 9E957155-6402-4342-815F-BCE4DC8D235E.webp
    9E957155-6402-4342-815F-BCE4DC8D235E.webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 17E6E92B-B1A3-4D85-82C0-B493E609F128.webp
    17E6E92B-B1A3-4D85-82C0-B493E609F128.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 4958A233-3D30-40A9-9F80-AEEBED878ACC.webp
    4958A233-3D30-40A9-9F80-AEEBED878ACC.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2B3D2B1F-36E9-44CD-A0FC-45D185706B32.webp
    2B3D2B1F-36E9-44CD-A0FC-45D185706B32.webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 127903F4-49C2-4D98-B4CA-47F264752DF6.webp
    127903F4-49C2-4D98-B4CA-47F264752DF6.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 12
Is it possible that their skin is just dry? How often do you change their bedding?

Is it possible that their skin is just dry? How often do you change their bedding?
Thank you so much Adelyn! We change the mats where they sleep and wee every 3-5 days and the other parts of the bedding (e.g. playground, eating area) every two weeks.

I’ll put some coconut oil on them tomorrow to see if it gets better! Hope it wouldn’t be mites from hay or from cats that visits our backyard? 😟

Thank you so much Adelyn! We change the mats where they sleep and wee every 3-5 days and the other parts of the bedding (e.g. playground, eating area) every two weeks.

I’ll put some coconut oil on them tomorrow to see if it gets better! Hope it wouldn’t be mites from hay or from cats that visits our backyard? 😟

Hi
Please don't panic. It is a nuisance but not life-threatening.

Please never home treat on spec with what you have at hand. You can make things easily worse and a proper diagnosis much more difficult. Please book a vet appointment tomorrow. It is ultimately cheaper to see a for a correct diagnosis and the appropriate good quality treatment so you get on top of it once and for all.
It is difficult to judge whether you are dealing with either mange or hay mites (two different species specific skin parasites) or whether it is potentially ringworm (potentially species jumping fungal skin infection) just from a picture without a hands-on examination.

Here is more in-depth information. Give your cage and its contents a thorough clean once treatment has started.
New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

Thank you sooo much Adelyn! I really appreciate your help and referrals!

Hi
Please don't panic. It is a nuisance but not life-threatening.

Please never home treat on spec with what you have at hand. You can make things easily worse and a proper diagnosis much more difficult. Please book a vet appointment tomorrow. It is ultimately cheaper to see a for a correct diagnosis and the appropriate good quality treatment so you get on top of it once and for all.
It is difficult to judge whether you are dealing with either mange or hay mites (two different species specific skin parasites) or whether it is potentially ringworm (potentially species jumping fungal skin infection) just from a picture without a hands-on examination.

Here is more in-depth information. Give your cage and its contents a thorough clean once treatment has started.
New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights
Dear Wiebke, thank you so much! I will definitely book an appointment first thing in the morning! Thank you so much for the suggestions and information, really hope they will be ok and not suffer much 😭

Dear Wiebke, thank you so much! I will definitely book an appointment first thing in the morning! Thank you so much for the suggestions and information, really hope they will be ok and not suffer much 😭

With the correct treatment, any parasite or fungal skin problem should never get any further than 2-3 weeks of moderate discomfort. It is worth doing it properly because that is the quickest way of getting on top of it. Because these issues are contagious, you will always need to treat all piggies in contact with each other.

All the best. But please take a deep breath; it takes a lot more mis- or under-treatment for them to start suffering badly.
Skin parasites, fungal and other opportunistic illnesses that can hit whenever the immune system is lowered are a fact of life for any pet keeper, whatever the species. You just deal with it promptly and properly (i.e. not on the cheap) whenever it comes up and it will never get to the stage where it can become a problem. ;)

Thank you so much Wiebke! I’ve managed to get an appointment on Thursday for both piggies. Hopefully will all get sorted! Thank you sooooo much for your help I really really appreciate it!

With the correct treatment, any parasite or fungal skin problem should never get any further than 2-3 weeks of moderate discomfort. It is worth doing it properly because that is the quickest way of getting on top of it. Because these issues are contagious, you will always need to treat all piggies in contact with each other.
Thank you so much Wiebke! I’ve managed to get an appointment on Thursday for both piggies. Hopefully will all get sorted properly! Thank you sooooo much for your help I really really appreciate it!

Back