• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scaly Ear/Testicle - any ideas?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jillybean
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jillybean

One of my boys who is 3 months old has a problem with the inside side of his ear where the skin has gone very dry and crusty, it is a bit scabby in places and bits of it seem to peel off. He has a bit also on one testicle.

Never seen this before in any of my guineas, can't see anything 'live' either, and his 2 brothers are fine. Anyone got any ideas before I visit the vets? Thank you.

The ear thing sounds very similar to what my Marmite had, unfortunately it was ringworm :(

There are a few things it could be. I think a visit to the vets is defiantly on the agenda. :)

Fungal that has gone from the face to the genitals. Contact Chrissie at Gorgeous Guineas for some stuff. Arm yourself with Daktarin oral gel, ask Chrissie for a suitable cream/mousse for his ear- email her with the probs first. I've found daktarin for athletes foot useful on some babies I had with Fungal probs that wouldn't 'dry up'. A combination of Daktarin and Manuka and Neem oil did it, but a cream would probably be better- contact Chrissie, she's your man :)

[email protected]

Awwww poor little man :(
Daktarin is brilliant i use it for nose fungal problems, highly recommend it. Apply with a cotton bud gently to the area O0
Hugs for your little boy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for your replies, sorry I haven't updated sooner but that's due to my flaming NVQ work!

I took Jacob to the vet on Friday. She thinks it is a fungal infection and has taken a sample to send away. She's given me some drops to put on and rub in which have worked really well. Even after one application it looked loads better by the next day. They're a steroid type thing which I'm not too keen on but it's certainly worked. His brothers are all OK.

Thanks for your advice.

Just to update, the vets phoned (whilst I was watching the baboons at Paignton Zoo!) to say that Jacob doesn't have a fungal infection.

Which is good but I'm stumped as to what it was. His ear has completely cleared up and his privates are getting there.

A mystery I think. (A £52 mystery!). Bless him!

Had a phone call from the vets today - the Lab had cultured something from the sample but has only just grown! It is ringworm, the commonest strain of it apparently. Anyway, all seems to be clear now so fingers crossed. Just thought I'd update you.

Hi, Ringworm is Fungal and contagious. Just keep an eye out in case it flares up again. Gorgeous Guineas products are useful against Ringworm. I had it myself a couple of years ago (caught from a child at work!) and used a combination of Griseofulvin, Daktarin for athletes foot and Manuka and Neem oil from Gorgeous Guineas. Its incredibly annoying to have and I sympathise with all fungal guineas. Has the area round his genitals cleared up? He'll wash that and it may go systemic as I'm sure your vet has warned you. Sorry to sound harsh but I hate Ringworm with a vengance and steer well clear of any kids that have it now! :)

Glad its getting sorted anyway and thanks for the update :)

Yep ringworm is a type of fungal I'm afraid. Glad he is making a brilliant recovery. O0

Yes all clear, checking him regularly and his brothers too. My sister was telling me someone she knows got it on the end of her nose. Oh my God! I'm always kissing my animals so am trying to restrain myself. Would be just my luck to get it on my nose and everyone would think I had the dreaded lergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back