• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scab or tick?

lumse

New Born Pup
Reaction score

My guinea pig has this dark/black spot by his eye. The skin has balded around it and become swollen. Could it be a tick or is it more likely to be a scab from him maybe poking himself on some hay? What do you guys think? I'm worried, so I would really appreciate your input.

Thank you!

Please could you post the picture directly to this thread (rather than us having to go on a third party site) by pressing ‘attach files’ below the message box.

However, generally anything sore or swollen in or around the eye or anything to do with eyes at all, requires an urgent vet check.

Poking himself in hay would need to be seen by a vet asap (within 24 hours) due to how quickly
eye injuries deteriorate.

Here are the pictures.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240812_195516.webp
    20240812_195516.webp
    88.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240812_200005.webp
    20240812_200005.webp
    67.5 KB · Views: 1
Ok so it isn’t directly an eye injury.
The angle isn’t great on the picture to be able to see it straight on but does the skin look white and flaky?

If it was a tick you would be able to see its legs close to the skin as they only burrow their heads. I’ve not heard of piggies getting ticks.

Ok so it isn’t directly an eye injury.
The angle isn’t great on the picture to be able to see it straight on but does the skin look white and flaky?
Not flaky, but white. I tried getting a better shot.

Attachments

• 20240812_203255.webp
    20240812_203255.webp
    92.8 KB · Views: 1
If it was a tick you would be able to see its legs close to the skin as they only burrow their heads. I’ve not heard of piggies getting ticks.
Thank you! I've myself gotten a tick in the patch of grass, he has his play pen in, so I thought it might be possible. Thanks for taking the time to reply <3

Thank you! I've myself gotten a tick in the patch of grass, he has his play pen in, so I thought it might be possible. Thanks for taking the time to reply <3

Outside guinea pigs can get ticks but this doesn't look like one. We can only guess wildly without hnds-on access, I am sorry to say.

Back