• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scab on piggie's back - not sure if ring worm or mites?

princess.peach

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've found a scab on my piggie's back (left hand side just after her front leg) and not sure what it is. She's had a few ringworm breakouts in the last few months, but has been in the clear for ~3 months now. I've noticed she's itching this spot a fair bit & also has dandruff throughout her coat which is making me think this could be mange mites. Her cage mate (also female) had a similar scab a few months ago but the vet suspected it was just a bite.

Welcome any thoughts on what this might be (see attached photo) please :) will book her in with the vets after BH weekend too.Guinea pig scratch.webp

Hey all,

I've found a scab on my piggie's back (left hand side just after her front leg) and not sure what it is. She's had a few ringworm breakouts in the last few months, but has been in the clear for ~3 months now. I've noticed she's itching this spot a fair bit & also has dandruff throughout her coat which is making me think this could be mange mites. Her cage mate (also female) had a similar scab a few months ago but the vet suspected it was just a bite.

Welcome any thoughts on what this might be (see attached photo) please :) will book her in with the vets after BH weekend too.View attachment 249350

Hi

Please see a vet. We cannot diagnose reliably just from a picture without a hands-on examination and a proper view of the location on the body.

The bite craters in the skin point towards mange mites but please do not home treat on spec with pet shop products. They re not really geared to cut through a full-on infection. It is much more efficient to hit them with a vet strength product once you have your diagnosis.
New piggy problems: URI - ringworm - skin parasites

All the best.

Back