• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scab Like Dandruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

HunBun

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Peruvian keeps getting scab like dandruff in a part of her fur close to her head.
health4_zps655b018d.jpg

health3_zps9031c6d3.jpg

It looks like this of you pull it out. A chunky flake of dandruff with hairs attached.
health1_zps0bb84490.jpg

health2_zpsd894b8d6.jpg

A bit of a bald patch is left when they come out too.

Does anyone know what this is and what could be causing it?
I think she has lice and will be treating her for them soon.

It is difficult to say and only a vet can diagnose. My first thought is fungal but it could be mange mites. Is she scratching at all? Is there any other hair loss?

It is difficult to say and only a vet can diagnose. My first thought is fungal but it could be mange mites. Is she scratching at all? Is there any other hair loss?

She's scratching but not a terrible amount and doesn't seem to be in any pain if it's touched and in general. She's a proper drama queen who squeals if you comb her or accidentally pull her hair when petting so I'd definitely know if it was hurting her.
There's no hair loss other than normal malting. The hair only comes out if you try and pull the fakes out.

It could be that she had an itch for some reason and this is what is left of the scab but I would be inclined to get it checked out in case.

Does the hair seem greasy at all? If you rub it the wrong way does it fall back into place or stay slightly upright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back