Sawdust alternative

Will2021

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I recently got a couple of guniea pigs and was wondering what an alternative could be to sawdust as it can apparently cause allergys
Do you think the fibre care back 2 nature would be a good alternative
Thanks

:wel: I use fleece liners but I have also had good results with paper bedding. I'm not sure about the other kind you mentioned.

Back2nature is fine but I didn’t like it. It really needed to be covered entirely with hay and it seems very hard. It also works out rather expensive.
I like to use aubiose or megazorb (can be used as it is as a bedding in its own right or covered with hay (covering with hay being essential for outdoor piggies particularly in winter, for warmth)

Hay, paper bedding, fleece.

I use a thick winter fleece blanket with bedding under it

I used to use snowflake soft chip but that's getting difficult to obtain, I swapped to easibed, exactly the same soft chip but cheaper. 👍

We have pigs indoors in plastic tray types of cage and love B2N for the covered bedroom areas... it's the most absorbent thing we've found! With plenty hay on top to snuggle into - then hay is replaced when wet but B2N really lasts. It's not cheap though. Our council has approved it to be added to the garden waste - not every council does (aubiose should be fine for garden waste collections). I pick the wet patches out of the B2N but the poops just dry and drop through. I use newspaper in the open part of the cage where I put the pellet bowls as pigs go here to eat but usually just pass through between bedrooms and outer run. Newspaper absorbs pee but stays wet - so this needs to be changed more often etc. In the outer run I now use homemade fleece liners (fleece-Zorb-fleece) with smaller versions on top as pee pads. We've made some changes with these 4 pigs (three are new) who live as 2 pairs. Previously we had a similar cage area set up for a trio who all lived together but they used the space very differently. You'll find what works for you but I would say give B2N a try in the bedrooms at least.

For years I have had a combo of fleece with puppy pads on the lower storey and megazorb or sawdust up top

Recently, i have discovered the secret of fleece is to have lots of it! I have invested in some cage fleece loft liners from etsy and also 2 big fleeces for downstairs.

This lets me change the loft liner every day (the puppy pads arent heavily soiled after every day and can be moved about to last a week.

I now have enough fleece liners to collect a bundle for the washing machine - it's all so much easier and quicker. Literally 2 mins to change my loft liner. The downstairs one will do a few days as it is a big area and doesnt get as soiled.

It is all so much easier and i dont have a bin full of sawdust and megazorb to take away.

Mine are indoor pigs most of the year - i think i still will use megazorb if they go into an outdoor hutch in summer.

Back