Saw a chew mat, wanted to know whether or not it is safe

lisa.w

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey, this is my first thread so I'm not sure whether I will get many replies, however I saw this chew mat online and I was wondering whether or not it is safe for my two piggies. It says it is made from water hyacinth, but when I searched online if it is safe, it said water hyacinth is poisonous for guinea pigs. When I saw the reviews though, I saw some bought this for their guinea pigs. Is it safe for my piggies to chew on?

Here is a picture of it:
19479_1024x1024@2x.jpg

If you have info, or if you have bought this one before please let me know, it would be much appreciated! :luv:

Welcome to the forum

You will get replies! There is always somebody online here! We are a friendly group here and work hard to not let any posts go unanswered.

Personally I don’t see the benefit of this kind of thing, it doesn’t really offer much excitement - there are much better ways to provide enrichment for piggies without it costing much.
To me, and for my piggies, all that would happen with this kind of mat is that they would pee on it and it would become unusable within a matter of days!

I don’t tend to buy commercial items like this because they are mostly ignored.
The only commercial ‘toy’ items I buy are hay cubes or carrot cottages.
Otherwise my animals get their enrichment through cardboard boxes and large piles of hay with their forage and veg mixed in.

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Hi, I think it's water hyacinth and it's safe for them to chew. I at least had no trouble with that material. I had a couple of those in the beginning, one was peed on and pretty much ignored, the other was hanging from a grid in their cage and was well chewed on. Really depends on the piggies and what catches their interest on a given day... You can never go wrong with simple toilet paper rolls stuffed with hay, and they're free. Mine don't love commercial toys either, except for willow balls/ anything.

Welcome to the forum

You will get replies! There is always somebody online here! We are a friendly group here and work hard to not let any posts go unanswered.

Personally I don’t see the benefit of this kind of thing, it doesn’t really offer much excitement - there are much better ways to provide enrichment for piggies without it costing much.
To me, and for my piggies, all that would happen with this kind of mat is that they would pee on it and it would become unusable within a matter of days!

I don’t tend to buy commercial items like this because they are mostly ignored.
The only commercial ‘toy’ items I buy are hay cubes or carrot cottages.
Otherwise my animals get their enrichment through cardboard boxes and large piles of hay with their forage and veg mixed in.

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Thank you so much!
Yes I love mixing forage in their hay and buying them hay cubes. Just that one of my piggies loves chewing stuff so I thought this would be helpful. Rethinking it now considering the fact that mine would probably wee on it so much though haha :))

Hi, I think it's water hyacinth and it's safe for them to chew. I at least had no trouble with that material. I had a couple of those in the beginning, one was peed on and pretty much ignored, the other was hanging from a grid in their cage and was well chewed on. Really depends on the piggies and what catches their interest on a given day... You can never go wrong with simple toilet paper rolls stuffed with hay, and they're free. Mine don't love commercial toys either, except for willow balls/ anything.
Thanks!
Might try the idea of it hanging from the grids; seems like a great one! Mine love toilet rolls too, and are extremely picky with their toys XD

I have heard that hyacinth is poisonous for guinea pigs but I don't know if water hyacinth is poisonous or if there's even a difference between the two.
If you are getting a mat you would be better to get a hay or grass based one,
but the thing about mats is they're designed to be sat on and they'll just get peed all over.
I get grass based chew toys like this carrot one which they like for a while but lose interest after it has been peed on too much.
They also really like any kind of tunnel and cardboard just make sure they're not eating too much cardboard as it can be harmful.

Hope this helps,
73540-150x150.jpg

I have heard that hyacinth is poisonous for guinea pigs but I don't know if water hyacinth is poisonous or if there's even a difference between the two.
If you are getting a mat you would be better to get a hay or grass based one,
but the thing about mats is they're designed to be sat on and they'll just get peed all over.
I get grass based chew toys like this carrot one which they like for a while but lose interest after it has been peed on too much.
They also really like any kind of tunnel and cardboard just make sure they're not eating too much cardboard as it can be harmful.

Hope this helps,
73540-150x150.jpg
Thank you so much! I saw that too; I might buy it for them also :)). Yes, I'll look for a grass or hay based mat, or just scrap the whole idea.

I just checked to be extra careful and yes, hyacinth is poisonous but water hyacinth is a different plant altogether. I wouldn't feed them the fresh one as I have no idea what it looks like and which parts are safe, but as far as chew toys go, it's alright, no worries. I also have a laundry basket made of it where I keep their hay, and my pigs chew on it all the time😉

Hey, this is my first thread so I'm not sure whether I will get many replies, however I saw this chew mat online and I was wondering whether or not it is safe for my two piggies. It says it is made from water hyacinth, but when I searched online if it is safe, it said water hyacinth is poisonous for guinea pigs. When I saw the reviews though, I saw some bought this for their guinea pigs. Is it safe for my piggies to chew on?

Here is a picture of it:
19479_1024x1024@2x.jpg

If you have info, or if you have bought this one before please let me know, it would be much appreciated! :luv:

Hello and welcome to the forum. Can’t wait to hear and see more about your piggies.

cardboard tunnels are also a good enrichment toy/boredom breaker. They don't hold up very well but they're good for floor time and the guinea pigs enjoy eating them. (sorry for poor picture quality)

1683142542798.webp
1683142701135.webp
1683142837329.webp

1683142991591.webp

I would not recommend that mat, my daughter bought one years ago and they just ignored it.

I would recommend getting willow items, just plain wood, or carboard into many different shapes. If you want them to forage you can get them a snuffle mat or mix some forage in hay.
Piggies and buns mentioned this earlier but apart from plain willow items I do not buy any commercial toys or hay racks because in my years of owning pigs they are never appreciated as the good old piles of hay and carboard items.

Things like these my pigs love - https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...8c5-ba9630b42bbb&istItemId=itxmxlqxr&istBid=t
I would not personally recommend those things above as when bought my any of mine they always ignore it, but it seems it works well for others so you can always give it a go.

cardboard tunnels are also a good enrichment toy/boredom breaker. They don't hold up very well but they're good for floor time and the guinea pigs enjoy eating them. (sorry for poor picture quality)

View attachment 223892
View attachment 223893
View attachment 223894

View attachment 223895

View attachment 223892
View attachment 223893
View attachment 223894

View attachment 223895
Thank you! That is such a good idea, I need to do that one day.

your piggy is adorable! :love:

I would not recommend that mat, my daughter bought one years ago and they just ignored it.

I would recommend getting willow items, just plain wood, or carboard into many different shapes. If you want them to forage you can get them a snuffle mat or mix some forage in hay.
Piggies and buns mentioned this earlier but apart from plain willow items I do not buy any commercial toys or hay racks because in my years of owning pigs they are never appreciated as the good old piles of hay and carboard items.

Things like these my pigs love - https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...8c5-ba9630b42bbb&istItemId=itxmxlqxr&istBid=t
I would not personally recommend those things above as when bought my any of mine they always ignore it, but it seems it works well for others so you can always give it a go.
Thank you so much! I have three balls in my cage too and my girls love those! I think after reading all the replies I'll probably not buy it

Back