• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Satins

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentF

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a friend in Holland with a satin who suffers from osteo dystrophy apparently this is quiet a common problem in Holland despite breeders claiming to have bred out the gene that causes it, I know they have similar problems in the states.

Do we have the same problem in the UK and does anyone know where I could find information and statistics about OD in UK satins that I can send her, she is trying to research the problem globally.

Also if anyone knows any ways to help with OD I can pass those on, chances are she already knows them but you never know.

Thanks

Yep UK does have guinea pigs with OD unfortunately :P
Sorry dont no much about it though :(

Yes they all do, I dont think its something that can be bred out, and even giving more calcium in my opinion wouldnt help - just be the cause of stones :(

Karens Link - I foudn this really useful before I got my girlies - http://satinguineapigs.co.uk/

Thanks guys will send her the links for her research O0 O0

I have a friend in Holland who runs a rescue and will be able to help. PM me her details if she wants them passed on. Desiree is doing lots of research into Satins too. Not all Satins get OD, age doesn't matter- it has been seen in all ages, maybe some breeders have bred it out by selective breeding or culling I don't know (culling as in choosing not to breed from affected stock). I've had typy pigs with OD and pet ones, I also have very healthy and big pet satins at the moment. My eldest Satin was 5 years old and had been xrayed, she showed now signs of OD on the xray or in herself to the day she died.

To do scientific research that would 'stand up in court' would cost the earth. We xrayed a group of satins to see if OD was present in UK Satins. A uni has shown some interest and will pass on any students wishing to it as a study, but its not going to be like a quick fix (or even slow :) ). Its a case of not letting them suffer if they do develop it and making sure Jo Public are aware of it (many are still quite happy to adopt Satins).

I'm happy to discuss the painkillers use by PM, but will say that Metacam has not been good particularly with Satins- just an observation of a few peoples Satins, nothing scientific :)

Giving Calcium seems to help those with Osteoperosis but once it gets to Osteodystrophy it doesn't help at all. But then you need to know which they have! OP usually comes before the OD ::)

Another weird thing is I've yet to hear of a Satin with stones (not just mine but ones my vet has seen and others).

Ron, for those that get severe OD its really nasty and you could do worse than getting some bone Rongeurs and files for their teeth- but, it varies a lot as to how it affects them and how much. I'm sure you know someone that can help with teeth ;)

Ron, you might want to give Calcium, if she only has Osteoperosis at the moment it has improved things with some pigs. These have all been xrayed though and have confirmed Osteoperosis- sometimes a 'symptom' of OD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back