Satins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingley

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We've just reserves a couple of very lovely baby boy guinea pigs (for my children but of course I'll be the main carer). One is a black sheltie and the other a crested satin roan. These will be their 1st pets and I really want the experience to be a positive one.

I'm taking our new pets very seriously (have bought a C&C system) and have been reading too... I'm quite concerned about the satin and the associated health problems. It would be heartbreaking to have a baby who won't live long/who may live in discomfort. I've raised these concerns with the seller we're getting them from who helpfully assured me that she has never had any problems with her own satins. Should I be concerned?

What is the likelihood that our satin will have problems? As well as so awful for the piggy, it would be very distressing for my daughter (it's her first pet). We've been offered a cream short haired instead but she is already fond of the satin. Any advice appreciated.

I had no idea satins were susceptible to problems. Having googled a bit, a little bit of info picked out from the guinea lynx website: "the hair shaft has a mutation that makes it hollow and this causes the hair to reflect the light. This can cause a "glittery" or "shiny/oily" effect to the haircoat and often causes the lighter colors to take on a pearlescent sheen. This mutation is a simple recessive one and can be found in many of the other breed types. Unfortunately, it does come with some greater health risks. Some of these include: metabolic bone disorders (osteoporosis, osteopetrosis, dental disorders, etc.), poor growth, microphthalmia (not to be confused with Lethal micropthalmia), higher rates of pregnancy toxemia, and more. Any satin coated pig is at higher risk for medical problems later on in life no matter where they come from!"

And this may be a helpful link: http://www.guineapigwelfare.org.uk/satin-guinea-pigs/

To be honest breeding is often so poor that many guineas can get some of these problems. The best thing is to get to know your piggies and realise when something changes and isn't quite right. What I've read seems to infer that only 'some' satins have problems, which is likely to be a relatively small percentage, particularly given the person you spoke to who said they had had no problems with their satins.

To add - 'higher' risk may mean something like an increase from 1/1000 occurrence to 1/100 - which still would mean 99 pigs without that particular disease. Theres no info on the actual risk rates I can find though! But thats often the type of figure that 'higher' risk translates to.

Thanks for your research. I'd love to know if this is the case('higher risk' translating to small increase). I seem to have read far more worrying stuff (may not be true of course) which seems to indicate that pretty much all satins will suffer these health problems to varying degrees and live a shorter life. I want both our piggies to live long, healthy lives (of course!) I had no idea satins were desirable because of the coat- we just liked the 'look' of the piggy's face! The piggy will be taken by someone else I'm told (because of his 'special' coat) so I don't have to worry that it won't be looked after. It might be selfish but I want a nice happy situation for my kids. Maybe a more experienced owner would be better suited to a satin... Or maybe he's meant to be ours! I'm so tempted to go for the cream one. As good a chance of a healthy happy life as the Sheltie.

You can never tell what is in a piggys future - unfortunately some do become ill very young, but its relatively rare as far as I can tell. Go for the piggies you were drawn to first I would say! Your sheltie will need special care too, they need lots of attention to their long coats to prevent any matting. Once you're in the routine though its very easy to give your pigs the right quality of life. You will do fine whichever piggy you choose :)

I adore your avatar pic by the way. So cute!

Hi! If in any doubt, I would stay off satins. Osteodystrophy is a horrible disease if a satin gets it! One of my piggies was given up by a very loving owner to find a new friend through a good rescue because she couldn't face a new piggy after the companion's death from satin disease. It was the piggy that told me through her behaviour how deep the bond between them was, not her previous owner!

It would be great if you considered using one of our good standard rescues instead. The rescues we recommend rehome only guaranteed healthy/quarantined and not pregnant piggies that are well bonded; that way you can be sure to avoid any of the usual problems that can await the unwary. Good rescues are by far the safest place to get piggies from. We cannot judge how good the breeder is you want to use, so the risk is all on your side. https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

Thank you all for your very good advice. We are no longer getting the satin. I'm not very comfortable about it. I'll let you know how we get on with our baby black sheltie and cream smooth. :)

Are you sure you will not try a rescue for the certainty the guinea pigs are healthy, Correctly sexed, Not pregnant and already bonded? Without adopting you are taking on a big risk of unhealthy or pregnant guinea pigs.

I agree that rescue is the most ethical option and would definitely use in future. My son is attached to the sheltie, deposit paid, we wanted babies for our 1st pets as the kids can watch them grow. We looked at rescues but nothing to suit us (different aged pairs, many with health problems etc.) These babies have already been born and we can offer them a good home. The breeder is very experienced (also rescues and affiliated to RSPCA) and there doesn't seem any chance that they won't be males.

The biggest risk would be them not getting on, especially as males I understand (I really like that rescue shelters pair them) but I'm hoping as they'll both be very young they may be ok- if not I'll be asking questions on this board!

I absolutely see your point and, once experienced, that will be what we do in the future. Thanks.

You stand a better chance of them staying friends with loads of space, two of everything so there is no competition.I have a Peruvian girl and a sheltie girl that I keep trimmed.They have a bum bath when necessary.Good luck with your babies

Thank you! We have ordered one of those indoor open cages (C&C). It's 4x2 plus loft but won't introduce that until they're older.

Thanks for tip about 2 of everything- will do just that. And yes- ready for bum baths :)

As I am sure you have come to discover, there is much controversy over the prevalence of OD in Satin guinea pigs - Certainly, more research is required!

Despite the lack of research, I believe there is considerable evidence to suggest that OD is of a concern in Satin guinea pigs!

However, I believe that you have made the right decision not to purchase the Satin pup - I have yet to hear of a reputable/responsible breeder of Satin guinea pigs!

Good luck with your new additions!

You can find out more about boars and boar behaviours at the top of our behaviour section. We have got information threads at the top of each section. You may like to have a browse, but you are welcome to ask any questions you may have.

Boars go through a tricky hormonal teenage phase between 4-14 months of age. Only when they develop their adult identities will you find out if they are actually character compatible and get on for the rest of their lives. More boars pairs than not make it, but the fall-out rate in same age pairs is higher as they hit the hormonal spikes at the same time and react more strongly to any provocation from their mate.
Just to add, being litter mates doesn't change anything (two dominant boys will still clash) nor does neutering, unlike with rabbits; the latter is only necessary if you want each boar live with a sow of his own as an alternative to boar dating at a piggy savvy rescue that offer this service after a fall-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back