Salsa Verde's Furry Coat/possible Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMommy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Salsa Verde arrived here yesterday and I noticed he smells very strongly of perfume. I suspect he was washed with a strong smelling human shampoo. The previous owner told me she bathed him with Aveeno, which possibly could be the reason.

I noticed that Salsa Verde's fur is much thinner than Queso's (who is very fluffy). They are both American pigs with very similar patchwork colouring.

We bathe Queso with a VERY SMALL AMOUNT Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo, which doesn't smell like much and seems to really help his fur. We've only bathed him twice, both times where he was extremely smelly and urine was in his fur. We don't over bathe and are very careful about Queso's bathing habits.

My question is, if Salsa's fur was damaged by the perfumes, is it wise to wash him again to get it out of his coat? I worry if it stays in, it could do more damage to his coat.

Salsa Verde arrived here yesterday and I noticed he smells very strongly of perfume. I suspect he was washed with a strong smelling human shampoo. The previous owner told me she bathed him with Aveeno, which possibly could be the reason.

I noticed that Salsa Verde's fur is much thinner than Queso's (who is very fluffy). They are both American pigs with very similar patchwork colouring.

We bathe Queso with a VERY SMALL AMOUNT Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo, which doesn't smell like much and seems to really help his fur. We've only bathed him twice, both times where he was extremely smelly and urine was in his fur. We don't over bathe and are very careful about Queso's bathing habits.

My question is, if Salsa's fur was damaged by the perfumes, is it wise to wash him again to get it out of his coat? I worry if it stays in, it could do more damage to his coat.

I would just give Salsa a gentle wash with some hand-warm water to remove the perfume and not overload his skin with any more chemicals.

Some guinea pigs have thicker coats/thicker hair than others. It depends on their ancestry and whether they have got some other breeds mixed in or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back