• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Saliva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I was told yesterday that when piggies have toofie problems they make extra saliva and this can then make a sound like they've got a rattly chest.
Has anyone else heard or experienced this?
This has never happened before and Duke's had countless trips for toofie trims, this is a first, please i'd like to know more about this.

Hi Glynis,

I have never come across this and over the years I have had many pigs with dental problems.

I have had pigs with snuffles and rales but in every case there has been no dental problem.

Thanks Mary, i'll follow this up more but i just was at a loss when i heard this... now i'm really unsure :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

It's now more than 48 hours and he's still rattly :-\ :-\ :-\

I dont know Glynis but sounds like his lungs need to be checked, I wouldnt take any chances. If he is producing excess saliva, is it possible some has gone into his lungs? I would go back to the vet to be sure love. Hope Dukey will be ok :smitten:

They checked his lungs again yesterday, still no fluid on them :-\ :-\ :-\
I just wish i could work out what's wrong, looks like i'm going to have to put him on a dose of Baytril to clear this up, oooo he'll not be impressed :P :P :P

Let us know how Dukey is doing, poor love. Take your baytril for mummy and get well soon :smitten: :smitten:

well picked up the baytril tonight, he's on 0.4ml twice a day for 7 days... but check up time on Monday...
he's picked up a bit, but still raspy breathing... this is why i have pushed for the meds :(

my very first gp had back teeth problems. Is he still eating normal? I can only tell you about my personal experience which was she tried to eat but the food would fall out of her mouth like she was unable to chew also she did produce alot of saliva which made her chin wet and had a very sweet and funny smell. My pigs are housed indoors now, but she was outside and i did'nt have a clue about gp's then, it's only from the forum that i am learning more each day. Sadly it was advanced and the vet thought it would be best to put her to sleep. I don't recall any raspy breathing though.

Oh poor Duke sounds like he's been having a tough time recently but I'm sure he'll be fine O0

I've never even had dental problems with my pigs but I guess it just depends on how bad they are...?

Hi Glynis,

This raspy sound,do you think she is grinding her teeth.Sometimes when pigs have overgrown molars,or a spur on the teeth somewhere,they grind their teeth with the pain.This grindy noise I suppose could sound as if it was coming from the chest.
Severe dental problems can cause slobbers(ptyalism). and the pig woulde be wet under the chin all the time.

I can only suggest that you get the vet to recheck Dukes molars very carefully,spurs are often hard to see even by an experienced vet.

Maybe an x ray would be a good idea to make sure there is no misalignment in the jaw.Ongoing dental probs can sometimes set off problems in the jaw.

I do hope he will be o.k.

Hugs from the Epsom Mob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back