Safe hay racks?

Princess_Harriet

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was using a hay rack but after learning how dangerous they are I switched to just putting a pile of hay in the pig cage. Only issue is they pee on it and then they won't eat it. I'm going through loads of hay this way and am having to buy it at least every week. Does anyone know of any safe hay racks or ways to put hay in the cage so that they won't spoil as much? Thank you!

I use a hay bag, which works really well and the piggies love it. I think you can get them on eBay and Amazon. There are also plenty of sellers on Etsy who make pretty fabric ones.

Attachments

• Guinea pig cage.webp
    Guinea pig cage.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
Wasting hay is normal and part and parcel of piggy keeping. They love having big piles of hay to play in and be able to forage freely through. I do just use big piles of hay And my boys eat so much more and love playing in it. Yes they do pee and poop in it!

Mine love a big hay pile but they also like a box of hay to rummage around in. Best of all the box is free! You can generally get free wine boxes (as in cardboard boxes 6 bottles of wine come in) from the Supermarket quite easily.

Hutch with Fleece 2.webp

I use one of these from wilkos to stuff hay in. It hooks on the side of the cage and I put bulldog clips either side so they cant pull it about. Before that I used wire cutlery racks, the ones you put stuff like big spoons and spatulas in. They pull loads out onto the floor but if I keep that full I know they always have clean hay. Occasionally they get in and sit on it 😂 and sometimes they get some good exercise by getting on their back legs to reach over and eat hay out the top.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210821-150251_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20210821-150251_Chrome.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 10
I was using a hay rack but after learning how dangerous they are I switched to just putting a pile of hay in the pig cage. Only issue is they pee on it and then they won't eat it. I'm going through loads of hay this way and am having to buy it at least every week. Does anyone know of any safe hay racks or ways to put hay in the cage so that they won't spoil as much? Thank you!
If i have any empty toilet paper rolls i stuff them with hay and they love it, you could also use kitchen rolls

Attachments

• 4B977E47-BE74-4B5D-B5A6-98781AD66DD4.webp
    4B977E47-BE74-4B5D-B5A6-98781AD66DD4.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 13
Back