Safe Hay Holder Options?

Suki&Indie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all! My piggies are very snobby and will only eat Canadian timothy hay which is quite a harsh stalky hay (and also very expensive)
I used to put it into hay bags but it’s caused hay poke twice as one of my girls insists on sticking her whole head into the bag to get the best bits.
Now I just put it in piles on the floor which has worked great but it has resulted in a lot of waste as it gets very messy and it breaks my heart to bin so much expensive hay!
What are some eye safe options for holding hay? They’re in a C&C cage so I can clip stuff onto the sides
Alternatively any nice soft hay that might be as tempting as Canadian timothy? Thanks!

I have a box for hay ( a plastic box with lowish sides and an lower opening cut out). That limits the mess a bit but there is still a lot of hay thrown away. It's not wasted as it's played with, slept on, tunneled under etc. It's a good source of enrichment so I personally wouldn't use a hay rack. There are cheaper forms of hay, such as bales.

:agr:

I use a cheap hay and a more expensive hay and it’s just thrown into the cages. I use just a couple of handfuls of the expensive one and the cage then gets filled with the cheaper one. I dont and won’t use racks due for the reasons above - hay is never wasted even when it now thrown away as they have been using it to forage through, play in etc

My OH hates the mess too but the piggies love it. As a compromise we use hay trays. They are just cheap cat litter trays with a little wood pellet litter on the bottom, a layer of cheap hay and then the good stuff. Both boys love rummaging in them and 20240706_163157.webpMischievous Master Boris loves to sleep in there.

I buy sheets of newspaper offcuts (chip shop paper) on eBay and put the hay onto a piece or two folded double. The piggies can trample and rummage through it for seed heads etc and I can just roll it up and throw it away, or keep some bits that are still dry and clean.

Back