Safe compost- growing grass

Piggies2023

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm growing grass for the pigs. Now all compost has fertiliser in it. Which confuses me because you normally say keep pigs off fertilized grass. I've grown grass in compost that says it's safe for growing all things including vegetables. It will contain fertiliser as the bag says it contains enough feed for 3 months. Is this safe for the pigs? I'm thinking it is and that I'm just getting overly anxious about it. Because if it's safe to grow veg it should be fine for grass?

I think it should be avoided if it was sprayed onto the plant directly leaving the residue on the part the guinea pig is eating. Fertilizer is just absorbed through the plant's roots and makes it grow quicker and healthier. Compost is an organic fertilizer already itself and any added nutrients are just going to make the soil better for your grass.

I grow my grass in a tray for the piggies and I never do anything other than cut it and water it if it’s dry - I have a gravel garden

I did and mixed it with garden soil (about half and half) - this was about 2 yrs ago and it’s still growing well !

Back