Rye hay?

lizbeth.0319

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I live in Australia and finding good hays in my area has been hard. Timothy hay is so expensive, and it doesn’t last long. I’ve just found a Timothy and rye hay mix which is much cheaper, but is rye okay to give every day?

G'day,
I don't have experience using rye hay, but after a bit of internet searching, apparently it's a type of grass hay. And grass hay can be fed to guinea pigs daily. So, my guess it that it's fine. However if I was you, I'd wait for a reply with the opinion of someone who has used rye hay before.

Hi 👋

I also live in Australia and had the same problem as you for the longest time. Hay was so expensive!
I eventually found a farm store close-ish to my my house and now get my hay from there. I usually buy in bales for about $25. It's a grassy mix and lasts about 2-3 months for my three.
I also don't have any experience with rye hay, but if it's grassy it's probably fine.
A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

Rye hay is fine, it's higher in protein than some hays, ive used it as a low calcium alternative to alfalfa to help bulk up older or unwell piggies but it's fine also as a main hay :)

Back