Russell Bedding

• Thread starter Thread starter Beaney
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beaney

I think I remember someone saying something about this but now I can not remember - seem to have lost my brain over the christmas period!

I am losing my patience with vet bed, which is what I currently use. I love it for the rabbit - because he is nice and tidy - but the pigs scatter hay everywhere which I then spend ages getting off the vet bed! I gave a piece a shake this morning so it could go in the wash and I got pee in my eye - YUCK!

So, I was thinking of a change of bedding. I don't have masses of storage space at the moment (Garage is in a mess at the mo and only shed storage I have is on top of the hutches - more room for the piggys on the floor ;)) so things like megazorb are not so good because the bags are huge.

So I was thinking of giving Russell Bedding a try. It is sold in my local store too which makes life simple. I know it is straw but it does say it is soft enough for piggys and is very well chopped.

Anyone else use it?

I really like it. I have too many piggies now for it but I used it for a long time.

It is nice and soft and quite absorbant and the piggies seem to like playing in it! Nice and easy to spot clean too.

I'm fed up with the vet bed too, I had to brush the hay off in the wind the other day and I was covered in pee and needed another shower ::)

Does the Russell bedding smell at all? My pigs are inside and I don't want anything too pongy or that will cause tangles on the longhaired girls.

I use the russell bedding & my piggies love it. It is short cropped & feels soft to the touch.

My piggies don't smell Kathryn but as you know they're outside, having said that i'm not overwhelmed by a pong when i open the door ;D

I have to agree about the vetbed, i used it for a while & oh my it certainly does hold fluid; i found out the exact same way as you Kathryn :D

Got some and just done a clean out - so far I like it a lot! Very soft. Tia is definatly a fan as the second I had finished putting it in she came out in a popcorning frenzy. Nutcase that she is! ;D

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Would you say it's too 'messy' for indoor use?

kayjay said:
Would you say it's too 'messy' for indoor use?

I think it'd be ok Kathryn as long as you lined with newspaper first, that'd make it easier to clean out.
I find it less messy than hay, which ends up all over when i pull a chunk off but because the Russel's in small bales you can put the whole bale into your cage & break chunks off before you scatter it.

I also think it is much less messy than hay. Mine are all out in my shed so wind was a bit of a factor when filling the pens up but it didn't seem to 'scatter' like hay. My piggys seem to be loving it! I would think you would be OK indoors.

I did a spot clean this morning and it was a lot easier than the vet bed. So far, I am really liking it. Will have to see how it goes cost wise though. I have a little under 24sq ft to cover with the Russell bedding so one bag will do one clean - just about (the bag says is contains enough for 3 standard hutches). I think I will need 2 bags a week so will just have to see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back