Runs in winter

Chrissy24

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with attaching a run to my hutch via a short tunnel to allow more access permanently in the day? It would be on the patio but I was going to put some kind of soft flooring on top and have it covered with a clear waterproof cover to protect from the elements.

Just trying to think of a way that the winter can be more enjoyable for them. I may put them in the kids playhouse for the winter yet....if hubby agrees. As the kids won't use it in the winter anyway
Ideas welcome!

Given piggies are most comfortable between 18 and 22 degrees, and below 15 is too cold, its generally advised that they dont go in runs in winter. The guide is if it is too cold for you to stand on the ground with bare feet , then it’s already too cold for them. Use of runs generally stopping around Sept/October time and not being used again until around April time.
If you can fully insulate the run so no damp, rain or wind can get in (including the sides) and they can remain warm enough, and so that they can stay in the hutch if they want to, then the run might be ok (i cant imagine fully insulating and outdoor run would be easy though) but the playhouse would definitely be better.

My boys live in a shed and in winter they have daytime access to play on the shed floor (locked in the hutch at night in winter). Generally I find that they come out for a quick run around when I feed them in the morning but after that they choose to stay tucked up in the hutch for most of the time and it’s considerably warmer in the shed than it is outside

Last edited:
I would suggest the playhouse for a few reasons:

It’s warm and dry for the piggies

It’s also warm and dry for you when you are cleaning them out (big plus)

Your children can still interact with them as sometimes they are forgotten about over winter as you don’t go out as much to see them.

Back