• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Running Lice

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind1

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have just noticed 2 of my guinea girls have lice. I have treated them with xeno 450 spot on but was wondering how they have got them. From what I have read they can only get them from another piggie but I have had these girls for 8 months. They are living with 2 others who do not have them. I do have a visiting piggie (in a separate hurch)at the moment but I have checked her and she is clear. Also I have just read on a web site that you can treat lice with dog lice shampoo and it is not necessary to use ivomec. Is this true? Thanks

i would say that you should go to the vets and really i think ivomec is the best way of getting rid of them, its much more likely to work fully i would think.you could complement it with some gorgeous guineas shampoo and melts which really help, but it's likely to get worse not better without ivomec i would think. :)

Ivomec is the best solution. We have just finished a course of the treatment here and it cost £22 for 3 injections. I wouldn't use dog lice shampoos. The best advice would be from your vet.

Good luck!

Louise
:)

Lice do not suck blood so Ivomec injs/oral won't treat them. Have never used the Spot On stuff.
I use Gorgeous Guineas Lice n' East shampoo on mine. This effectively rids my pigs of lice after a few shampoos depending on the severity of the infestation. Gorgeous Guineas

Ive used the spot on before, its expensive but works really well, my vet ordered me mine. I'm a bit unsure of shampoos as many shops sell them claiming to treat parasites but many dont contain anything to really kill them. After reading about GG shampoo I'm thinking of trying that after the spot on treatment is finished, the spot on is enough for 3 doses, 2 and 4 weeks after the first treatment so maybe i will shampoo after all the spot on treatment is finished with.

Running lice can come from hay which has been infested I believe, so check you hay stock. As Karen says, no need for spot on or injections as GG lice n easy will do the trick. I have used it on mine with 100% sucess rate. Never use dog shampoo on guineas :)

Xeno 450 spot on has obviously worked. I have checked the guineas today and can't find any lice. Have ordered lice n easy from GG as well so will use that when I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back