Run And Outside Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavies1023

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As a new owner I am curious how often you let your Caveys out of their cage and how and where do you let them run? Do you have a run cage set up? Are they on the floor roaming free? I have an enclosure for outside but am not sure what to do for inside. If you have pictures of set ups of runs or run time please attach them.

Thank you:)

My three girls live free roam in a shed during the week, which is about 24 sq feet. At the weekend they come inside to a smaller pen in our dining room and they get floor time three times a day for between 30mins to an hr each time (maybe less if we're going out) free range. The dining room is safe and we just let them do their thing! The pen door is left open and so far they go back inside to pee. Mine haven't been outside outside in their run yet as we have non lawn in the back garden at the moment and the front lawn as well as being mostly moss, it is open and they'd require constant supervision as I don't trust the neighbourhood kids!

My pigs are housed in a hallway leading into our family room- every night I gate off the hallway and put out snacks for them so they can get out and run around. They only get outside about three months a year due to the climate, so it's good for them to have some running space indoors. How much they take advantage of it depends... the younger one still likes to run laps, but my senior pig I think has lost a lot of vision and is sometimes hesitant to come out. I think she has trouble finding the ramp to the ground now that she doesn't see well. I will bring her out and she sometimes putters around or sometimes just turns around and makes a beeline back to the cage.

Chock has a run enclosure for inside and he will be having lawn time this summer which will be his 1st time out on a lawn as i didn't have one in the last house i was in for most of his life
I have a seporate one for outside that i got off amizon which has a net for going over the top of it
If i hadn't lost the net for his indoor one i wouldn't have to have 2 runs but the online one wasn't expensive so not a lot was lost...

We have a metal run (really designed to be used outdoors) for run time. It folds flat for easy storage.
We use it both inside and out.

The guinea pigs get floor time at least 5 days a week.
When the weather is good we put the run on the lawn, but so far that hasn't happened often this year! In reality because of our climate I think floor time will more commonly be an indoor activity for our pigs.
Mostly we use the run inside on a fleece blanket, and then add various hideys and things to play with.
They are in the run for anywhere between 30 minutes and a couple of hours, and we use this time to air and spot clean their main hutch.
After floor time we usually do lap time which also varies in length, depending on our schedule on any given day.

IMG_3028.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back