• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rumbling Tummy

dabel101

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My 3yr old guinea pig became suddenly off her food, she at a few bites but not much at all. She has been fine since this evening. She keeps trying to hide behind and under things which isn't usual for her during feeding time at all.

However, i quickly noticed her tummy rumbling quite a bit. I took her out of her cage so i could take a closer look. She doesn't seem bloated to me, and her weight hasn't dropped.

I haven't seen her eating hay at all this evening, and i took her out for around 30 minutes and no poop at all. During this 30 minutes i massaged her stomach, which lead to a LOT of gut sounds and rumbling. It is currently late at night and unable to take her to the vet. Any ideas or help?

Not sure, sorry! Have you given anything different to eat recently? Xx
Nope not at all, everything is the same. Her and her sister have identical diets and shes just fine, so quite certain it isn’t anything with veggies being bad.

Please step in with daily weight checks and syringe feeding if she is not eating hay.
It could be the start of bloat and she should be seen by a vet.

Please step in with daily weight checks and syringe feeding if she is not eating hay.
It could be the start of bloat and she should be seen by a vet.
Thank you, will weigh her now. After a 30 minute tummy massage she did begin eating a little bit of hay! We are booking her a vet appt for today as well.

Hey! Just to update Mabel has gi stasis:no:. She has been given loxicom, a medicine to get her gut going (can’t remember what its called!) and some critical care. She is booked in for another appt tomorrow to check if shes getting any better :)

Back