Rug or alternative for under cage

Spaniel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Looking for something to put on the laminate underneath the piggy cage. The cage is on a piece of wood lifted up a little with furniture feet.

Ordered two rugs to try but both had a strong chemical smell so sent them back.

Can anyone recommend a rug that doesn’t have a chemical smell or an alternative to try?

Thanks.

What purpose do you want the rug to serve? I have an oilskin table cloth under my cages - catches the hay, poop and other debris and is easily cleaned.

What purpose do you want the rug to serve? I have an oilskin table cloth under my cages - catches the hay, poop and other debris and is easily cleaned.
To block the cold coming up from the floor :)

I ruled out any type of fabric because I thought it’d get cold and feel damp but it sounds like it would be fine.

Checked what we’ve got spare and we have an old mattress protector, tarpaulin, old curtains and spare correx. Would any of that be ok?

Do the foam tiles have a chemical smell? They look like a good idea and fairly cheap.

I have used the colorful foam tiles for my children when they were learning to crawl (I have all tile floors in my house and wanted something more comfortable for them to crawl on). I never noticed a chemical smell from the foam tiles.

We have had no problem with smell from the foam mats. You could always pop them in a different room to air out first if your worried.
Our layers in the playpen go floor, mats, blankets, fleece pee pads. When its especially cold I use a couple of blankets and newspaper too.
In the boys home(C&C) they are raised off the floor on units, the layers go unit, mats, correx, newspaper, fleece pee pads.
We have hard floors, and an old house with plenty of draughts.

Can anyone link the mats they used please? The section of cage that is on the laminate is 80x200cm. Thanks.

The foam tiles would be a great base and are washable and then add layers as you need.

Back