• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ruby's Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caviesgalore (EPGPR)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor old Ruby has had a bit of a sore eye recently. It started with what I thought was the arrival of "fatty eye". Some time ago a slight bulge appeared on the lower inside lid of Ruby's right eye, it didn't seem to bother her and wasn't at all sore. About two weeks ago I noticed that she had a runny eye, still no redness, the fur around her eye was just wet looking. After a couple of days it seemed to get worse and she seemed to have more discharge and a little bit of redness. As I had to take the cat to the vet I took Ruby along with me. The vet checked Ruby over and has given me some Maxitrol eye drops to put in twice a day - they are combined anti-inflamatory/antibiotic drops. Her eye looks much better almost a week on, but not 100%. It doesn't appear anywhere near as red anymore but she still seems to have a collection of "cleaning fluid" around the eye sometimes - it might just be that I happen to catch her in mid clean of course!

The first photo shows the eye, you can just about make out the "bulge" along the lower lid
100_3397.jpg

The second photo shows Ruby head on, the eye appears pretty normal from this view
100_3400.jpg

No discharge or obvious wetness just before I took the photos (sorry they are awful quality, it was almost impossible to get any decent ones as I am by myself and just had to point and click and hope for the best!).

My main worry is something the vet said. He wants to see her back in the next couple of days to recheck the eye, but he was pretty pessimistic during our last visit, saying it could well be the roots of Ruby's teeth growing up behind the nasal/eye cavity. I am sure he is only doing his job and covering all bases, but he always gives me the worse case scenario! Ruby is eating well, appears happy in herself and is bossing everyone around as normal. I am tempted to leave the eye for a little longer and continue using the drops to see if it clears up rather than rushing back. I have also received a vet recommendation from a GPF member so might get a second opinion if things don't improve - what do you think?

Get a second opinion asap O0

I dont have much eye problem experience truth be told, but I have seen fatty eye, and looking at the pic, that is a definate possibility :)

If you doubt your vet for a second, always, always get a second opinion O0

If she is always mid cleaning, maybe something is behind the eye, and shes trying to get it out, but like I said, its not one of my areas of knowledge sadly :( Hopefully Mary or karen will come along soon O0

As far as I can see from the photo,I agree with members who have said it looks like fatty eye.This is harmless and does not bother the piggies.It is not painful.

I would give it a few days,and if you are still worried,go to another vet.

That was my subsequent thought too Julie. If it was Ruby's teeth I would have thought she would have had trouble eating and may be wet around the chin area, but she seems fine. I am hoping it is fatty eye, which she has had for a while, with a touch of eye infection on top. I think I am going to stick with the drops for a few more days and then may get a second opinion - I don't think piggies are my current vets favourite creature!

Its funny, but Charley my cat has to go for regular blood tests and when we see our usual vet (on maternity leave) Nicola always makes a big fuss of Charley before checking her over. Part of the fuss IS the check up! She and I weigh Charley and she listens to her heart, checks teeth, gums, eyes etc. before finally picking her up in her arms to take her through to the treatment room for a blood test. The current vet just got hold of Charley and did the checks - which she was totally unimpressed with and then told me to put her in her basket so he could take her through to the treatment room in that! She was not a happy puddy cat :(

Yes, I really do think there are some vets who take up the profession purely because of the money and don't really have that much of an interest!

If you want to try another vet, I was recommended a guinea savvy vet in Snodland yesterday Sandra - the Sandhole Vet Centre by Cavy Rescue in Kent who apparently has a keen interest in GPs who this rescue see, but you MUST see the right person. I'll send you a PM :)

Our Sully had fatty eye but our vet thought it was from being injured when he was small :(
They can live fine with it, but one thing i was advised was to be careful not to let him get tooo much sun on it, as it can burn the area exposed, hope this helps just a little and good luck :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
btw what a little cutie :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: she's got such a beautiful little face awwwwwwwwwww

and my weakness
PIGGIE LIPS ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :-* :-* :-* :-*

and who was that in the background? two other gorgeous piggies one having a big slurp :) from the bottle :)

awww Sandra... sorry to hear about poor Rube. Hope her little 'peeper' gets better soon - really hope its not what the vet thinks, that its her teeth causing the trouble :-\

Glad to hear she's still doing what Ruby's do best - be bossy! ;D Love that second pic - seen that look before! ;D love the little ginge in the background drinking :D so sweeeet!

Hugs from Helen, the other Rube and Dil x

Thanks guys for the support and for your pm Julie. The two trouble makers in the background are part of the gang of 7! The ginger piggy is Blossom and the white one is Smudge. Blossom was boss piggy of one of my original girlie trios but thankfully is happy to be one of the gang. Little Smudge is well down the pecking order and just does as she is told ;D

I am really hoping that Ruby has fatty eye and just happens to have got an infection in the same eye. I will keep using the drops over the weekend and will then revue things next week.

She is a lovely girl and I spotted the other 2 cuties behind you too :)
I do hope it is fatty eye and nothing more serious :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back