• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ruby Ill With Bladder Problems Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caviesgalore (EPGPR)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I can't believe it, my daughters were cuddling the piggies earlier and my beautiful dutch girl Ruby, my oldest sow, passed some blood in her urine - not another piggy, not again :( :'(

She seems well in herself, is eating and isn't obviously in any pain when weeing. We kept her and a couple of the other piggies indoors on towels for a while and she is passing urine well, with an ominous dot of red in the middle. I can't go through this again, we have only just lost Tetley :'(.

Ruby is four and a half years old and a really bossy madam with the other piggies, it is only recently that she would take to any other sows, after she lost her sister at Christmas. I have spoken to our vet today and he has recommended starting her on a fairly large dose of Septrin and if there is no improvement after a week he will x-ray to check for stones and ovarian cysts. She took the first dose of Septrin beautifully, and I have also been giving her unsweetened cranberry juice, which after the initial couple of syringe fulls she decided she didn't like! I have also bought some pot barley (the original state pearl barley comes in, before they remove the outer casing and which is supposedly fab for urinary tract infections according to the lady at the health food shop) so will be making up some of Uncle Peter's pearl barley tomorrow for her.

When Tetley was taken ill I also sent off for some Uriflow capsules on the recommendation of others on the forum so I think I will start Ruby on that tomorrow as well, just in case she has a stone forming.

Here's a photo of my beautiful girl taken a while ago, please keep everything crossed for Ruby.

000_0032.jpg

Awww... she's beautiful! My Ruby is bossy too - and has bladder problems! Spooky! :o :D

She's off to have an op tomorrow - to flush out her bladder. She passed blood and squeeked alot when urinating. After blood tests/ultrasounds and x-rays (and god knows how many urine tests ::) ) it was confirmed calcium crystals were the problem. I'm really worried its going to be a reoccurring thing (genetic) as the vet said her diet is fine. Gave my vet info on Uriflow and she did more research on it. She said that because they dont know enough about it (within the profession) it wasnt worth doing it. Must admit though - it did sound like a miracle cure when I read about it. Have you asked the vet what they think about Uriflow? Its good that your Rube isnt in any pain at the moment though.

Fingers crossed for your Ruby! O0 So sorry about Tetley. :(

Helen, Rube and Dil x

awww bless her, she's soo beautiful! hope she feels better soon! *big hugs and loads a love to you both* :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

She is a beauty, all our wishes for her full and speedy recovery. Would love to know how the barley works for her :smitten:

Thanks Karen, you gave me the link before, which is how I came across Uriflow. Can but try it.

She is so lovely. :smitten: Hope it's not anything too serious & she gets better soon. :-*

Piggyloon I hope your Ruby will be better soon too. :-*

Caviesgalore said:
Thanks Karen, you gave me the link before, which is how I came across Uriflow. Can but try it.
Sorry, a lot of people have used it and they've been successful, would hate to think anyone was missing out :)

Sian said:
Piggyloon I hope your Ruby will be better soon too. :-*
Thanks Sian! That means alot O0 I really hope so too
I'll update you on this thread http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11555.0

Really tempted to use Uriflow - but I'm a bit wary to just because my vet (and the people she rang up to advise her) - dont know enough about it, as I mentioned before. I think you should give it a go but ask your vet first and see what they think. O0

Good luck again caviesgalore x Thanks for your post on my thread ;)

Oh dear poor little girl, crossing paws and wishing little Ruby all the best for a speedy recovery :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

btw i opened up your thread and went :o :o :o i thought it was our Duke for a moment, awwww she's beautiful she's got the same combo as Duke one ear pink the other black :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Good luck O0

OK Ruby has turned into a screaming harridan! I spoke too soon when I said she liked the Septrin, wrong, now hates it with a vengeance and does a really nifftying thing with her front paw to try to knock the syringe out of my hand! Piggy towel wrapping tomorrow!

I brewed up some pearl barley today (thanks for the instructions Mary!), let it cool, drained off most of the liquid, added some cucumber and blitzed the lot together. Managed to get some of the liquid into Ruby but she wasn't having any of the puree >:( - little madam has gone from loving her mummy to hating her! Word of warning for those wanting to try pearly barley juice - NEVER leave a pan of pearl barley unattended on the hob! Mine was simmering away gently, phone rang and whoosh, wretched think boiled over and boy does it stick to the hob ;D ;D

Despite her best efforts I managed to get Septrin, cranberry juice, pearl barley juice and plenty of fresh food into her today. Amazingly the rest of the gang seemed to get the taste for the puree, they were all falling all over each other to lick it off the spoon ;D

Good to hear she's taking the medicine (not willingly, of course : :)) Hope she gets better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back