Rspca Home Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylElla

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So the rspca are doing their home visit tomorrow, what do they need to see? The lady I contacted about adopting piggies that matched us with our potential piggies was very happy with the hutch based on the photo I sent.

I've got the hay ready, what else will she want to see? I haven't connected the second and third tier of the three storey hutch yet. Should I do this tonight or will it be ok for me to just tell her I'm going to connect it?

I'm really nervous lol.

So the rspca are doing their home visit tomorrow, what do they need to see? The lady I contacted about adopting piggies that matched us with our potential piggies was very happy with the hutch based on the photo I sent.

I've got the hay ready, what else will she want to see? I haven't connected the second and third tier of the three storey hutch yet. Should I do this tonight or will it be ok for me to just tell her I'm going to connect it?

I'm really nervous lol.

Be yourself, first and foremost, and have things as they usually are. Don't try to pretend.

What the RSPCA want to see is whether the pictures and information you have given matches up to reality. Whether your set-up is safe where it is and complies/surpasses any minimal requirements and winter protection.
If you have already exisiting pets (especially piggies), they would usually like to see them and how you interact to get a feel for you as a pet owner.

They are not looking for super duper homes, just normal ones. If they have suggestions for improvements, be coppoerative; they are being made for the wellbeing of your piggies and usually spring from previous bad experiences.
The visit is generally an amiable chat. ;)

All the best! it is normal to be nervous the first time round!

I've only had a home visit for a cat before and I already had a cat so was more relaxed. Hopefully all will be fine.

I love the multicolored wooden bridge/hidey. Can only get them in boring old natural brown near me.

Nope, not in the UK but I know some piggy people over there. Perhaps I know what to ask for now when we do piggy christmas gift exchanges.

And I had a visit from one of our local rescues (am not in the UK so can't compare to yours), but if most rescues are similar to one another they will just want to see where you are housing the pigs (which room), the cage fully setup is best so that they can get a proper idea of what the finished habitat will look like. Don't need to put the food in.
I already have guinea pigs so they saw everything as it was.

Other things they wanted to make sure of was how many other pets are in the house and what, how many children and what ages. Just make sure to tell them the kids or any large pets (like cats or dogs) will never be left unsupervised in the same room as the guinea pigs.

Wish you lots of luck and don't be nervous. It will be a nice friendly person who just wants to be sure that they are not giving animals up to a home that's more like an animal horders zoo or to people who want to house half a dozen pets in a shoebox sized cage. Once they see what a nice setup you have that has plenty of space for the animals you've pretty much nailed it.

Thanks, they'll be living outside and we're not getting them for another 2 weeks so don't want to put shavings or anything in the hutch. I'll put the tunnels, water bottles etc in so she can see roughly how it'll be set out. They know about my cat too, she's 14 and more concerned with eating and sleeping but neither her or my kids will be left alone with them. Hoping all will be well.

How long after first getting them should we leave it before we get them out for floor time? They're 11 weeks old.

Until they seem settled in. For some it's 2 days, for others a week. Generally 2-4 days though. When they dont look totally terrified anymore and are venturing around their cage fairly happily then they're settled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back