• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rosies hair loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm really worried about rosie and i will be taking her to a vet on tuesday (its bank holiday here on monday)
Ages ago when she was outside with her mother ( who was killed by a cat) i noticed her fur looking a bit shabby but thought it was after the stress she experienced when a cat got into her run and killed her mum, she escaped, she was only about 3 mths old.... then she was a happy pig when i got the other three for her tp play with and her fur was fine.
I noticed when she was preg that her fur around her saddle area was thinning but thought after reading that it was pregnancy or maybe barbering.
Now her skin is looking worse, no crusts the hair is thin and she has another baldy spot near her rump in a little circle.
I'm stressing about this so much today. She does scratch but not excessivly.
She still has her 4 babies and she was running with the other sows before she gave birth and they are all fine.
Any thoughts?? I am terrified she has mites, wjere would she have caught them? what is the treatment, can i do anthing herbal?
Thanks pig family x

Mites can come from hay and bedding. If you want herbal remedies then contact Chrissie at Gorgeous Guineas. her products are all natural.

www.gorgeousguineas.com

She is great to speak to for advice as well.

thats a great place, i also looked at lynx site and a pic on their looked like rosies rump, i think it may be fungal, also she is living in the laundry room wich can be humid so will have to move her.

It could well be fungal and mites.GG website has good info on how to identify fungal/parasitic problems.

GPS have mites all the time but in such small numbers as to cause no problem.When a piggy is unwell or stressed their natural resistance is lowered and the mites proliferate to such an extent that they cause irritation.

Rosie is probably a bit run down after giving birth.a vitimin C supplement might help.I use Abidec,just one drop per day.

Email Chrissie,I know she will be able to help Rosie.

I have made a lotion from olive oil and tea tree and lavander (guided by peter gurney site) ive rubbed it in and will bath her tomorow then i have to repeat the procedure. babys didnt think much of pongy mum!

Good luck love, i hope Rosie is ok and that her lotion bath helped her itchies a bit :-\ :-\
FOr Rosie :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back