Room preferences

siowo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm a new guinea pig owner, i adopted my sister's two girls and I'm wondering what kind of room is best for them? I've had them for a couple of weeks now but I'm not sure where would be the ideal spot for them. There's two options for rooms, one of them is my bedroom which they currently live in, so theres quite often noise (not loud or sudden but just general living noises) from going in and out, walking around, activities etc. and they get a lot of attention in my room. The other option is a room that is sort of a second bedroom which is very large, theres not a lot of "traffic" outside, such as people walking around and past the room, and they would still get plenty of attention there, I'm just not sure which is best? Would they generally prefer being around a person a large chunk of the day but not being pestered obviously, or would they prefer to be alone, being visited a few times a day but purely to check up on them? Thankyou!

My guinea pig lives in the family room, where there tends to be a lot of noise, but she seems to be doing fine and still sleeps like normal. I think it depends on the guinea pig, some guinea pigs love company and others want to be left alone. Does your guinea pig love spending time with you? If so, then I would keep them on your bedroom. If not, then they should probably stay in the other bedroom. I hope this helps you. (By the way, you put this thread in the right place.)

This did help a lot! They do seem to enjoy being around me so that's good, just wanted to make sure! Thankyou!

Something I didn't think about in my first cage placing was that the room went up to 26 degrees in spring, so would have been too hot for them even then, and definitely in summer.

Oh that's a shame, yeah the other room gets quite warm so it would probably be better for them to stay in my room, thankyou!

My guinea pigs have our spare room all to themselves, as it is the most climate stable room - cool in summer and warm in winter. It's on the opposite side of the house to where the sun faces at it's hottest in the afternoon (not that we get much hot weather... 😂 ). I personally don't keep them in my bedroom as the dogs come upstairs to bed with us - they have their own dog-proof room. Plus I feel they like their peace and quiet. I think quite often people use aerosols and perfumes etc in some rooms so it's best to have them in a room where that won't happen.

Back