• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Roly

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiep

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have been worried about Roly for a couple of days. He seemed a bit lethargic, wasn't eating much and was squeaking when trying to poo. I checked hs botty and had a gentle feel of his tum - couldn't see anything wrong (in fact his bum was pristine!) or feel any hard lumps, but we took him to the vets. She gave him a good check over, she said she could feel a lump but that it seemed to be mobile so she thought it was probably a bit of poo. She gave him a jab to get his gut moving and also of baytril as his eyes were a bit runny, told us to make sure he had some recovery food if he wasn't eating. We brought him home and gave him some Critical care - he had a good gulp (and the rest went over me!), and later on he managed a poo and started eating some timothy hay. He has seemed brighter today, has been eating almost normally - do you think he was just a bit constipated? The poor little thing has never had an appetite like the others, and is very timid - we think now more than before he was badly neglected by the previous owners. :'(
I am hoping it was just a blip, the vet said if he doesn't improve it could be a kidney problem :( We are keeping a close eye on him, I just feel so sorry for the poor wee mite. Has anyone had a picky eater piggy and can suggest something to get him eating more? i am going to weigh him as he is quite slim (not boney).

so sorry to hear about roly. glad he is eating now though. as for a picky eater, we have one of those and she is know as jessie the junk food piggy. as long as he eats his hay and grass he is getting most of his nutrients. perhaps give a vitamin C supplement. if poor little roly was neglected by his previous owners they should be shot! :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: some people don't deserve animals, they make me sick! :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: god put us on this planet to watch over it and the animal kingdom NOT to abuse it! hoping roly keeps improving, if he was consitpated give him more fibre to help him. hugs and cuddles to you and roly. :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks Choloe, he loves celery which is good for the bowels! We always make sure he has celery, carrots and romaine as that is all he will eat really, doesn't like tomato or cucumber.
We got Roly via a colleague at work - you should have seen the state of the water bottles that he came with - they were honestly bright green with gunk :(
if they never bothered giving him veggies, could this be why he doesn't eat much?

Poor Roly, I'm glad he's managing to eat a bit more. It's a worry isn't it? Wouldn't know if it was anything to do with the fact he didn't have much veg, sorry :-\ I'd have thought I wouldn't be able to get my little head out the veg bowl if that was me!

I think sometimes if they haven't had something when they are little they are wary of eating it later on. Some of mine have been really fussy but once they're in a group with the other girls they learn to eat whatever is put in front of them in no time!

I read somewhere that they're quite suspicious of new foods, because they can't vomit - so if they eat something bad, it has to go right through them. Not sure if that's true or not but sounds sensible!

Sophie
x

Ah, thats interesting Sophie - OH gave him some apple once and he freaked out - seemed scared of it.. What you say explains a lot actually.

Theya re a worry, its so horrible when they are not well!

Hi seating habbits sound just like Ralfie's katie. Ralf has had tummy problems this week too and he was neglected before he went into rescue :( Hope he is feeling better soon for you x

that could be true with 99% of guinea pigs being afraid of new foods, but with jessie she is just plain stubborn! we got her when she was 6 weeks old from a petshop and started her on veggies straight away. have worked long and hard just to get her to eat things like celery, brocoli,parsley, all she wanted to eat was that mix with the molasses in it. if she knows that veggies is all she is going to get then she will eat it when she thinks you're not looking. good luck with roly. glad your happy he's pooping. so far zoe is pooping normally, but will wait for a while before i do the happy dance. good on you roly! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Wow, I didn't know piggies could be scared of food - our others tear through their dinner like a plague of locusts! So the contrast with Roly's eating habits was really noticeable.
Glad Zoe's poops are better Choloe! we spend a lot of time on this forum talking about poops don't we?!

katiep said:
Wow, I didn't know piggies could be scared of food - our others tear through their dinner like a plague of locusts! So the contrast with Roly's eating habits was really noticeable.
Glad Zoe's poops are better Choloe! we spend a lot of time on this forum talking about poops don't we?!

We do, don't we ;D Apart from when Pepe was ill and turned his nose up at his food, all ours go for the wet food and rip it up and stuff it in as quickly as possible! And as for Dylan - well, lets just say his nickname of Dustbin Dylan is appropriate, there is nothing that piggie won't eat - unless it's courgette, they all hate that... so I've not yet had a picky eater (Yet)

Mine are scared of peppers...if I put them in they will all back away from the bowl...I've sat and watched,as soon as I take it out they dive in...strange,I put it down to the smell ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back