• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rodentoligist wanted North West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just wondered if anyone knows of any good rodentoligists in the North West? It's not that I don't think my vet is capable, it's just one of them said he doesn't know a lot about guineas then went on to provide Cuzzy with an antibiotic beginning with M (can't remember the name at the top of my head) that is suitable for all animals but can't see it listed for guineas.

I'm not filled with confidence with him so would like a rodentoligst so if anyone knows any can you please let me know.

Thanks,

Louise
x

Phone Vedra at CCT she has a list of them. Gina used to be in Cheshire and is very good and very experienced but not sure if she's still doing it or not- she would be my first choice :)

S+T, Metacam?

Its a name I've heard a lot when working at the vets. Don't know anything about it though.

Yep it was Marbocyl. I searched it out online and what I can gather it can treat a wide range of animals for respitory infections so it probably was fine. It's just them saying 'we don't know a lot about pigs' doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Thanks for the info Karen, I'll give Vedra a call on Monday. My Dad even thinks that having someone who knows there stuff will save me a lot of heartache, I think he now realises what the pigs mean to me! :smitten:

A friend phoned the CCT today and we are off to a rodentologist tomorrow with her piggie.

Its a start when a vet says they don't know a lot about pigs- means they aren't arrogant and pretend to know more than they do. I had a new vet this evening, she's fresh out of vet school and Cloud had what looked like a possible abscess on his eyeball- to be told Jenny was booked up did not make me feel good! Anyway I was happy with what she did and felt bad for doubting I would be satisfied :) I think I paniced because it was my own guinea (its just not the same as a rescue pig)- I had visions of him having his eye removed :(

Perhaps work with the vet you have and have a rodentologist you can trust in the background :)

i feel exactly the same louise, i dont feel to confidient with my vet treating them. obviously I'm in north west too so if you fnd a good one let me know O0

I like my vet, they seem to know about pigs and are willing to look up on things that people suggest to them. Some antibiotics and other meds arent licensed for pigs but do work, e.g. Septrin :) well thats according to my vet. Mine is Adams vets in Fazakerley Louise if you want to try them, they've helped me get Ralfie through a lot as you know and have dealt with the other pigs well. One of them who loves Ralf used to have 30 pigs herself apperently. x

Sometimes they just need a little (?!) help. It takes a few years but its worth it when you find one willing to take stuff on board, particularly when they see its working. I admit its easier if you have a rescue because the vet will see guineas more often but I only had a few when I started working with my vet- going up to Cambridge/London even, at the drop of a hat just wasn't practical (or cheap!).

At first i didnt think my vet knew too much but i mentioned ringing Vedra if the Septrin didnt work and she was more than willing to try anything that may have worked. She even said she'd do a bit of research before my next appointment which i think is good. Luckily the septrin as you lot told me, seems to be doing the trick *fingers crossed* thought it was good that she's willing to learn still :)

:) It is good, just remember to give her feedback :) sounds silly but I don't think vets get enough pats on the back and told when they've done things right (yes I know they should know but it doesn't hurt to tell them). Maybe if you recommend someone then get them to mention that you recommended the surgery- another positive point. :)

Yes i gave them great feedback when Ralfie got better after his paralysed legs (even though it was you and mary who told me what to do lol) my vet suggested patting Ralfies side gently to try to shift some of the mucus on his chest and its really worked, you hear it building up then he coughs and sounds clear. And its been getting steadily better over this week :) i wouldnt have thought of physiotherapy myself!

Thats great, now tell your vet and give her the confidence to try it with another guinea :)

Thanks all,

I am happy with the vet, they did all they can for Cuzzy it's just you always wonder was it enough. I think having a rodentoligist in the background is great, it just gives you that extra bit of confidence I guess!

x

I went to the rodentologists today and found him very good we have to go back next week for a follow up visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back