• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

RJ went to the vet today...

• Thread starter Thread starter kdryan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kdryan

...for his mites and to get his nails done. The vet didn't seem too upset about them, though she only saw what she thought was one mite. Apparently there was "too much debris' whatever that means. She gave him a shot of (I think) Invictum or some similar name, then over much protesting from RJ, clipped his nails and weighed him, coming up with just under 1 kg. She said the shot was pretty fast acting, so we should see major results in time for his follow up in ten days.

Hopefully we'll be able to hold him again soon without hurting him... ;)

You need to bath the piggy to get rid of the dry skin and debris. The best shampoos to use are those sold by Chrissie on

GorgeousGuineas

they contain no chemicals and work very well.They will often get rid of mites or fungal infections without having to resort to Ivermectin. Chrissie also sells melts and lotions.If you email her she will advise you on which products to use for your particular pig.

[email protected]

think you need to find another vet who knows more about piggies.There is no need tghese days to put a piggy through the trauma of an Ivermectin inj.as this product is now available in a form that can be rubbed on to the skin.Ivermectin injs. are painful because the chemical stings.

OoOoH thanks for that - didnt feel like going to the vets soon for them to inject all 6 of my bubs ! one mother sow and her 5 bubs as they all have mites ! :-\

I think ill have to get some of there stuff to cure mites - what else an cure mites ? Ive got the powder and shampoo and spray :o

You will be able to get spot on Ivomectin from your vet iloveanimals DONT buy it from anyone else, you could end up with the wrong strength and goodness knows what that will do to your piggies.

If you are interested in Gorgeous Guineas products give Chrissie a ring as depending on who old your babies are you may need a different product/shampoo for them.

Oh right everyone says something i should use and all these things i have to buy wwhat people recommend at this rate its gonna cost a fortune just like going to the vets really :D ;D

If you email Chrissie

[email protected]

she will advise you best product to buy,you probably will only need a shampoo and melt.Her products are not expensive and are economic .Cheaper than the vet,and the added bonus that they work!.

also you can't actually see mites, so she doesn't know what shes talking about (they are invisible to the naked eye). 98)

Oh right - i was confused a sno one mentioned anything about someone and that they said they cant see mites ;D

yes they should and i cant wait to see if I'm gonna be a vet when I'm older and ill be a good cavy vet ! :D

The vet was talking about through a microscope, not with a naked eye. ::) Common sense...

On the other hand, the shot has had NO effect, if anything, the hair loss has accelerated. RJ now has a small scab on his back and I am EXTREMELY upset about this... :-\

Perhaps there's a fungal infection as well. I really would try and get a Melt and some Manuka and Neem shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas to ease irritation :)

I know eveyrone seems to say get gorgoues guinea shampoo and melts (LOL when i first started ocming on this forum i thougth they were getting commision or smething :D ) but they really do work.

Email them anad they will recommend what prducts to get. My piggie ahd mites nad possibly a fungal infection (when I looked at the cahrt of gorgeous guineas to see wether parasitic or fungal, he fit both), had hair loss, scrtaching and a red spot that looked like it was getting worse.
I was recommended a coconeem melt and the neem and munaka shampoo and it really has made a big difference. His red spot has gone, his fur is growing back and one happy piggie with lovely soft fur
The vet also gave my piggie 3 lots of drops on his back plus an antibiotic injection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back