• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ripped nail growth

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Just wondering what is normal vs abnormal in a badly ripped nail situation. My boy Reggie fell off his hide and ripped his nail off around 2 months ago.
It began to heal fine but then he hurt it again somehow around a month into his healing, which left him with zero nail.

I then admittedly forgot about it for a while once I knew it wasn’t an open wound anymore, just remembering today when i was cutting his nails (once a month).

There is no pain or sensitivity to touch so technically there is no issue, I just want to make sure there isn’t anything concerning about it. He is basically left with a tiny nub of a nail, and a lot more skin than seems normal. I have highlighted these areas, green being the nail and orange all being skin, I am worried his nail is unusually covered in skin.

As you can see in the nail to the left, the highlighted orange area is meant to be quick in a normal nail, whereas on his damaged nail it’s all skin. I am not sure if this is making any sense, basically the nail bed is way futhur down than usual leaving no quick on show. Will this cause issue in the future?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• IMG_2129.webp
    IMG_2129.webp
    14 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2128.webp
    IMG_2128.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 1
My late Billie ripped a nail off once but it did grow back, just took a few months.
The vet said to keep an eye out for a possible infection but in Billie's case there was no sign of any. I even started to cut the nail again at some point.
She only damaged it once though.

If you're in any doubt about the nail, please see a vet.

Just wondering what is normal vs abnormal in a badly ripped nail situation. My boy Reggie fell off his hide and ripped his nail off around 2 months ago.
It began to heal fine but then he hurt it again somehow around a month into his healing, which left him with zero nail.

I then admittedly forgot about it for a while once I knew it wasn’t an open wound anymore, just remembering today when i was cutting his nails (once a month).

There is no pain or sensitivity to touch so technically there is no issue, I just want to make sure there isn’t anything concerning about it. He is basically left with a tiny nub of a nail, and a lot more skin than seems normal. I have highlighted these areas, green being the nail and orange all being skin, I am worried his nail is unusually covered in skin.

As you can see in the nail to the left, the highlighted orange area is meant to be quick in a normal nail, whereas on his damaged nail it’s all skin. I am not sure if this is making any sense, basically the nail bed is way futhur down than usual leaving no quick on show. Will this cause issue in the future?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi

As long as there is no sign of infection or pain (biting the toe bloody), it is a matter of wait and see whether the nail grows back or not.

Your boy may not longer want run at top speed for longer distances but otherwise it won't impact on his mobility if the nail never grows back. ;)

Back