• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

wheek!guinea

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got home ready to do my boars' deep clean and nail trimsl and noticed these red marks and patching on Glacier's legs and sack. He does have early onset arthritis which makes it difficult for him to move his back legs. He is on medication for both, and never had any side effects before. I don't know if this is from scooting or possible ringworm. I will ring the vet in the morning (in the U.S) but I'm super worried. This was not there last night or yesterday 😢. He's 4 years old and currently on Gabapentin and Meloxicam.

Attachments

• 20241005_214109.webp
    20241005_214109.webp
    46.7 KB · Views: 1
It's good that you're seeing a vet asap. From the picture we can't see if it's possibly ringworm or another fungal issue or something different.
Tessy has also lost fur on her front and hind legs but the vet diagnosed it as hormonal, in her case because of ovarian cysts (which obviously won't be the cause in your boy's case).
All the best for the vet trip!

I got home ready to do my boars' deep clean and nail trimsl and noticed these red marks and patching on Glacier's legs and sack. He does have early onset arthritis which makes it difficult for him to move his back legs. He is on medication for both, and never had any side effects before. I don't know if this is from scooting or possible ringworm. I will ring the vet in the morning (in the U.S) but I'm super worried. This was not there last night or yesterday 😢. He's 4 years old and currently on Gabapentin and Meloxicam.

Hi nd welcome

Good that you are seeing a vet. It doesn't look like ringworm to me; more like self-barbering but it definitely needs a hands-on examination.

Is Glacier on any pain medication for his arthritis?

For ringworm pictures see the last the chapter:

Barbering and self-barbering:

Practical care tips for guinea pigs with mobility issues (including arthritis):

Guinea Lynx :: Hair Loss

I hope that the links help you.

It doesn’t have the typical signs of ringworm but obviously a vet needs to have a hands on to know what it might be.

Let us know how you get on at the vet
Hello everyone! Thank you for all the replies. We went to the vet today and it turns out he actually has lice :eek:! No idea how, they are cleaned daily. Yuck, poor piggy.

Hello everyone! Thank you for all the replies. We went to the vet today and it turns out he actually has lice :eek:! No idea how, they are cleaned daily. Yuck, poor piggy.

Lice could come with hay, similar to hay mites, although they are much less common. What have you been prescribed?
Treatment is the same for all skin parasites.

I would also recommend a 2 weeks vitamin C booster as the immune system can really help with keeping them under control.

Please don't give vitamin C for the long term because the body adjusts to higher levels and ignores them but will react with scurvy symptoms as soon as they drop for some reason - something you do not see in that form with normal vitamin C levels.

All the best. The hair should be growing back.

Oh poor baby. I discovered lice on Mylo, 2 weeks after I got him. Thankfully it was easy to get rid of them, so hopefully it will be easy in your case too and they won't bother him for a long time.

Lice could come with hay, similar to hay mites, although they are much less common. What have you been prescribed?
Treatment is the same for all skin parasites.

I would also recommend a 2 weeks vitamin C booster as the immune system can really help with keeping them under control.

Please don't give vitamin C for the long term because the body adjusts to higher levels and ignores them but will react with scurvy symptoms as soon as they drop for some reason - something you do not see in that form with normal vitamin C levels.

All the best. The hair should be growing back.
I suspected it's from the hay, ugh! Oxbow just disappoints me sometimes with their hay quality. I wonder why my other piggy doesn't have it. I'm thinking because Koji (other piggy) has long hair since he's a Silkie and Glacier is an American Short-Hair. Maybe just dumb luck too? I will defintely grab some vitamin C vitamins at the store. They prescribed ivermectin for 3 weeks! Thank you =)

Oh poor baby. I discovered lice on Mylo, 2 weeks after I got him. Thankfully it was easy to get rid of them, so hopefully it will be easy in your case too and they won't bother him for a long time.
Oh no poor Mylo! I'm glad you were able to get rid of them quickly.

I hope they go away quickly. I'm not sure how he got them, but another commenter suggested hay, and I thought exactly that as well.

I got the Oxbow one a couple of times, because they didn't have the one I usually get. The boys didn't like it at all, it was yellow and considerably more expensive, so never again.

I think treating both of your boys is a good idea, so they don't infest each other again.

Back