• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ringworm week 2!

Rogue_runner

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm battling ringworm with my two pigs (who have also passed it to me, yay!)
We visited the vet as soon as we'd caught it and on advice, have been treating with malaseb regularly. One pig is looking great after 2 weeks, who caught it off our first piggy. First piggy however just keeps getting fresh spots. Any idea how long we might be seeing new patches for? For reference the original leisons on her cleared up a few days ago, but obviously we have a couple of fresh spots starting now. We're 2 weeks in to treatment.
Thanks!

Hi all, I'm battling ringworm with my two pigs (who have also passed it to me, yay!)
We visited the vet as soon as we'd caught it and on advice, have been treating with malaseb regularly. One pig is looking great after 2 weeks, who caught it off our first piggy. First piggy however just keeps getting fresh spots. Any idea how long we might be seeing new patches for? For reference the original leisons on her cleared up a few days ago, but obviously we have a couple of fresh spots starting now. We're 2 weeks in to treatment.
Thanks!

Hi and welcome

What is your ringworm treatment? Are you only creaming and how long have you have your guinea pigs?

Please be aware that the time between infection and acute outbreak of a patch is 10-14 days. What creaming doesn't do is prevent the spread of highly infectious spores which are produced in their thousands and causes those spores to be picked up again.

The main problem with ringworm is to get of top of the spores and to break the cycle.
Please take the time to read our very detailed ringworm guide. It does really work if you follow the advice and do not cut corners. Our method does tackle all possible infection vectors but you have to be willing to invest in a high grade disinfectant like F10 and proper ringworm treatment to prevent an endless frustrating saga. Our way is going to be a major effort - but it is worth it and worth doing it right because you will have to do it only once.
Here is the link: Ringworm: Hygiene, Care And Pictures

Hi Wiebke, thanks! My vet (Ellie at Derwent Valley) has given us Malaseb to spot-treat daily until they're clinically clear, then two weeks additional treatment, as well as deep cleaning everything. We've also done a full bath of both piggies + a full deep clean of the entire room this weekend, and we're prepared and plan to keep going with the rigour until it's completely gone.

The guide is fab, and the first thing I turned to! I am going to invest in some F10 as I can see that although one piggy is definitely improving, we're on a fight with our other girl. We've had them years- first piggy (Crumble) unfortunately picked up the ringworm post-op last month as the singular complication, so I'm assuming it's still spreading on her because her immune system was down to begin with. Hey ho. So I guess I need to be hyper vigilant for new patches at least two weeks after everything else clears up.

Hi Wiebke, thanks! My vet (Ellie at Derwent Valley) has given us Malaseb to spot-treat daily until they're clinically clear, then two weeks additional treatment, as well as deep cleaning everything. We've also done a full bath of both piggies + a full deep clean of the entire room this weekend, and we're prepared and plan to keep going with the rigour until it's completely gone.

The guide is fab, and the first thing I turned to! I am going to invest in some F10 as I can see that although one piggy is definitely improving, we're on a fight with our other girl. We've had them years- first piggy (Crumble) unfortunately picked up the ringworm post-op last month as the singular complication, so I'm assuming it's still spreading on her because her immune system was down to begin with. Hey ho. So I guess I need to be hyper vigilant for new patches at least two weeks after everything else clears up.

Hi

You need to give all piggies a full body dip with malaseb at least twice: at the start to stop further ringworm patches from developing (breaking the cycle between infection and outbreak; once a patch is active it needs to run its due course) and then at the very end to ensure that no spores sitting in the coat are carried across to start another outbreak.

What many vets are not quite aware of is the crucial importance of getting rid of all possible spores and in how many ways they are transmitted. We have found those angles the hard way but by consequently eliminating them all, our measures have worked many times now and our guide has become the standard for ringworm care with over 70000 hits by now.

All the best. We are here for any practical questions and how-to tips along the way.

Much appreciated insight! They've had a full-body dip this weekend, so once they're all clear at the end we'll make sure to go through that trial again (long fur!) and of course, more deep cleaning of everything in sight... :)

Much appreciated insight! They've had a full-body dip this weekend, so once they're all clear at the end we'll make sure to go through that trial again (long fur!) and of course, more deep cleaning of everything in sight... :)
Give your long-hairs their summer haircut either just before or after the last dip so it is much easier.
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

The weekend full body dip should have stopped any new patches waiting to happen in their tracks and also removed any spores sitting in the coat so there shouldn't be any new infections. What you still have to work on is the current live patches that are still shedding spores.
Once those patches stop producing fungal exudate (spore bearing crusts) the outbreak is over.

Then comes the big deep clean operation to make sure that you get rid of any spores in the cage, grids, the furnishings, bottle nozzles etc. At the same time you give your piggies their sign-off dip to make sure that they are not carrying any spores across they may have picked up from the bedding (sleeping, scent marking, scratching etc.) so it is a total fresh spore free new start. But that should hopefully be the end of it. I would recommend that you also deep clean the area round the cage at the same time.

If there really is another spore causing trouble over the coming two years or even slightly over, at least you know how to step in straight away and it will never get as bad as this - you shuld be able to keep it down to just one infected patch that is stopped as quickly as possible. Keep hold of the malaseb and do an F10 deep clean every few months.

Oh Ringworm is such a pain. Wiebke’s advice is spot on and I’ve followed it religiously when I’ve had ringworm come in on fosters. All the cleaning, bathing and general hygiene precautions are such a chore but are necessary to kill off all pesky spores and prevent a recurrence. Good luck.

Back