• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ringworm Treatment

OwenSpray

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Does anyone know of anything good to treat ringworm infection for my fur baby? Its a very early stage and I want to prevent it from spreading or getting worse. I have currently separated my other two from her and I clean the cage daily so not sure how she got it. I clean the fleece lining and the matt under it thoroughly. I have done some research and fund theres oral care, ointment, and pills. But wanted to see what everyone prefers because going out and buying some. I would take her to the vet but the nearest one is roughly 3 hours away. I go there every two months and they just seen them two weeks ago and dont want to go back if its not a bad case since it is a treatable thing to do at home. Thanks in advance!

:agr: You really do need vet diagnosis and vet grade treatment. Over the counter remedies can make things worse if you’re treating the wrong condition, or prolong an outbreak if it is ringworm as the treatment is rarely strong enough to eradicate the problem.

:agr: You really do need vet diagnosis and vet grade treatment. Over the counter remedies can make things worse if you’re treating the wrong condition, or prolong an outbreak if it is ringworm as the treatment is rarely strong enough to eradicate the problem.

Thanks for the response, I'm new to the Guinea Pig caring and this is the first time one of them has been ill/hurt. Ive done research and its looks exactly like ringworm. Its right above her eye. Dry scaly skin, red, etc. Ill have to make an appointment. Ive just read theres treatments for it without having to go to a vet. Ive called all the vets ive talked to will take her in but wont prescribe something for her since they dont do “exotic animals”. And i dont want to spend $40 for them to tell me its ringworm and do nothing about it. The nearest one is 3 hours away so I personally go to it every 2 months for check ups. Just checking out my options sense its new to me.

I’m afraid the information on treating without a vet visit is likely to prolong things and let it get worse. You need vet strength treatment rather than ‘over-the-counter’ meds. Hope you can get piggy booked in soon.

Back