• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

ringworm treatment

• Thread starter Thread starter wildcat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wildcat

Just had my 3 piggies to the vets today with suspected mites, to be told they have ringworm (one has 2 really sore red areas now). The vets are ordering in a spray of some sort to use over 3 weeks. What can I buy over the counter tomorrow to help relieve the pain until Monday. I dread to think how bad this will be by then :'(
I was told to wear gloves and keep my toddler well away from them. What signs do I need to look out for in humans just incase we have it already :o

I think if you get ringworm it's very itchy, scaly and red. Not sure on this though

Your other pigs might also have picked up ringworm and I think the fungal spores can stay in the environment (ie; pigs cage or hutch) even after it's been gotten rid of. So you should either disenfect your hutch/cage VERY well or chuck it out and buy a new one good luck :)

Get a tube of Caneston cream from the chemist.This is an antifungal cream for humans.I have used it on my pigs with no ill effects and it does calm down the irritation.
I would not be happy about using a spray on a piggy.

Email Chrissie at gorgeous giuneas because she may have a product that is better than the Caneston.

I am fortunate in never having had ringworm but someone I know caught it from her pigs ,she had 2 red circles on her arm.The Caneston cream got rid of it quickly.
White vinigar is good for cleaning out the hutches etc.It is a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal.I use it for a lot of household cleaning jobs as I dso not like using chemicals in my home.

one of mine also had ringworm an after i followed the advice from mary she healed up quite quickly :)
i used caneston cream and lavender and myrr from gg :)

Thanks for the replies :)
I will try out the caneston cream first. O0 The vet said she had a lot of piggies with ringworms lately, so assume she knows what she is talking about? 98)
I placed an order last night with GG for coco neem melt and manaku and neem shampoo thinking it was mites! So wont get that until middle of next week. Maybe I should cancel this order now? What should I get to replace the melt and shampoo......oh sooo confused.
Thanks M&P I will keep an eye out for any red patches, feeling itchy just thinking about it ;D

The oil soaks from GG have cleared up ringworm but I have never needed to use Melts on it so i would be interested to know if GG products are successful on Ringworm now (Melts). The creams are very good at moisturising, I used a combination of Daktarin and and Lavender and Myrrh.

What is daktarin? Never heard of it.
I have just mailed Chrissie and asked her to change my order to something that is suitable and asked her for any suggestions.

Daktarin for athletes foot is what I used, but its ever so drying and needs mopisturising too with a GG cream. At the time I used Manuka and Neem oil soak but Chrissie will know what the recent products for Ringworm are, I haven't had any need for them :) I've had Ringworm and its horrible, I used Griseofulvin and GG products on myself ::)

This was 21/2 years ago- my last case of ringworm (in some rescues that came in), now I would use Manuka Lotion from Gorgeous Guineas, you can use it round the eye and ear areas where they often get Ringworm. It needs to be shampooed off with Manuka and Neem and can be used in conjunction with Microneem I believe. Whether or not you can use Melts for it I don't know (and would be interested to know if they work). If you're going to GG though take advantage and ask them for advice on products ::)

Mycozole spray is being prescribed by several vets now. Because it is a spray you can't use it around the eyes which as you know, is often where Ringworm appears. It does work, but also leaves the skin dry in the same way as the Canesten Cream and Daktarin. Its horrendously expensive though and it contains similar ingredients as Canesten and Daktarin (I think its the same as Daktarin). All have the same purpose anyway ::) If I ever need it then I'll use Canesten next time Mary :)
Mycozole Haven't used this.

I know this isn't guinea pigs but I know someone that used the Manuka Lotion on his horse after veterinary products failed and it was clear within the week, they just applied it for a bit longer as a 'just in case' precaution. He was really gratefull because I had recommended GG to him for his pigs, I think it was out of desperation that he contacted them ::)

SPH Supplies do purpose made disinfectants proven to kill fungal spores etc and they don't smell bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back