• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Riffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I believe that Riff Raff is a satin because he is so shiny :)

I also know satins can have problems. What should I be looking out for?

Thanks.

mum cant stop laughing when she reads the name Riffy on here ,I dunno why
( stupid woman) ;D

I'm not too sure on it at the mo, lovey.

But apparently Satins pigs can have a gentic problem which decalcifies bones and causes teeth problems. It can cause problems with mobilty. - Pleas someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Pretty sure there's something more on the forum somewhere - I'll go search :)

Here we go -- some great info on the site too;

karenrgpr said:
Apologies for not being clear :) OD is the shortened name for the bone disease Osteodystrophy that many Satins suffer from. It seems they suffer in varying degrees. At the moment there is no cure only pain killers.

The Calcium is not drawn up into the bones and the skeleton decalcifies. Thjis is evident when Guinea starts to bunny hop, selects softer foods or cannot eat the hard foods even though he tries. They also seem to go off hay, maybe too painful to eat?
Legs are held at an angle, in deep bedding this can easily go unnoticed. I have noticed that my OD Satins sit with splayed back legs and feet that turn outwards. All these things can also be signs of other problems so people must not be blinded by the Satin coat- but they must bear OD in mind when examining a Satin.

A common veterinary misdiagnosis is that the pig has Scurvy, we have seen this happen on several occasions, up and down the country, only for x-rays to prove that it's OD that's present.

My site is down at the moment but take a look later and go to Satin Study, there a couple of stories on there from Satin owners that lost their pigs to OD.

Karen www.readingguineapigrescue.co.uk

Thanks Kelly :)

Riffy is fine at the moment, and Roger always checks his teeth for me.

I have the same concern that the Pichu Brothers may be satins.

They're only between 5 and 6 months and seem perfectly fine now. But I will be on the look-out for any problems with their mobility and any weight loss.

Hopefully, Riffy and the Pichu Brothers will never have osteodystrophy, but at least if we are aware of the condition and we know what to look out for, we can make sure we do our best for them if they do show signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back